Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL question

The duke

I have this designer that is all over me to be able to machine from STL files. I know that with other software you can program toolpaths from STL files, can we doe that in any way shape or form do that with Mastercam. I'm only accustom to surfacing and solids.

Thanks

Well tell him he is a dumbass. I think trying to use crap and machine it is asking for trouble. Any designer than can not give you a soild or surface model to machine from is just lazy. You can machine them in Mastercam need to get the Chook to make surfaces out of the STL and then go from there. It will look juts like the STL though so unless he gives you 100 meg stl's expect what you see if pretty much what you get.

HTH

The designer here is exactly the same way. When he gets an idea in his head, it becomes the gold standard and nothing changes his mind.

I usually do one of two things--just do something the right way (as opposed to his way), or have my Mastercam dealer call him and explain why he's wrong(because I'm just a lowly peon--how could I possibly be right about anything?).

Anyway...

I'll chime in with my opinion now. STL files are a waste of time from a machining aspect. Work from your surfaces and solids and you will be much happier.

my .02

scott

yes you can machine stl files with MC.

from MC Help:

quote:

Mastercam can create a toolpath on a CAD file that resides on disk rather than being open in Mastercam. Using the CAD file option provides faster processing time. Mastercam extracts the information it needs to create the toolpath from the file, so that you do not need to retrieve the CAD file into Mastercam, which frees memory for toolpath creation.

You can choose to include a CAD file in a surface toolpath by toggling CAD file on the Surface/Solid/CAD menu that displays after you choose Toolpaths, Surface from the Main Menu or Operations Manager. Choose one of the following options:

¨ N - Does not prompt you to select a CAD file during toolpath creation. N is the default setting.

¨ Y - Prompts you to select a CAD file after you have entered the surface toolpath parameters. You can then position the CAD file using the CAD File menu.

CAD file types

A StereoLithography (STL) file is composed of triangular facets of data that represent surface and solid models. An STL file is the file format used by stereolithography machines which create part prototypes using a computer-controlled laser to cure a photo-sensitive resin. STL files can be created by other CAD programs, or by scanning a part model with a digitizer.

Other CAD file types that can be imported into Mastercam for surface machining can be found under the List files by type in the File Open dialog box when you retrieve a CAD file.

Note: You can include any combination of surface, solid, and CAD data in a surface toolpath.

now, the help file claims processing will be faster than normal, but with my (be it somewhat limited....ahvent even tried since late version8-early version 9) experience trying to machine from stl data, it takes much longer to process, as the file size to get an even somewhat close to desirable finish from an stl file is ridiculously large, generally speaking. as said above, you cant polish a turd and even the best of stl files will not give you anywhere near as good of results as using surfaces or solids.

I have no idea how to use mastercam to machine stl files as I have not had to do it yet. But I do know of a state of the art mold shop that uses nothing but stl files to machine their molds, problem is they use delcam. I do know for sure that it can be done with good and very accurate results. They have no choice but to use stl's but if you do have a choice I would go another way. If you need more info on how they do, I can ask them for ya.

HTH