Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Die Mold _HSM VMC

Love my Roku 435, just to small. Hard steel and graphite cut like a champ. Mine has 3000 for minimum rpm so for soft steel and drilling it sucks. Hard to get one machine that does it all, maybe Makino but big $$$$. BTW Bradst, you aren't workin at Metro are you?

Don't know if you'd be interested but heres a used Roku with all the toys, glass scales, mist... and I think it's in your neighborhood. If memory serves it was in the $100K area. 2000 Roku

If you choose the Roku, insist on glass scales otherwise you'll fight positioning accuracy as it heats up.

Makino all the way. Our SNC is great for everything you listed above. We have the 30K spindle and it will go down to 300 rpm. I have drilled and milled alot in the 1000rpm range it works great. Our biggest cutters would be ½" or 12mm and it has no problem pushing them. We hard mill S-7 54-56Rc and switch back to graphite on a daily basis. Change over takes about 10 mins of cleaning and a install of the graphite funnel. Don't even try running an oil mister or you will have one big gooey mess to clean-up. We tested the Roku, Makino, and Roehder. Makino wiped them all out when it came to performance, accuracy, and cost. They say that new E series is an awesome machine. Good luck.

Our Roku 658 has performed well when milling graphite and high speed milling of P-20. We looked at a Makino with the same number of RPMs (30,000)but backed off because of the cost. Wouldn't mind driving one for a few months to see how well it does. Plus the training at Makino is supposed to be outstanding for those converting to high speed milling.

Yes the S series is made in Singapore, it also does not have the tolerances of the V series. The SNC was also made in Japan, the E series is taking it place. I was told it would also be manufactured in Japan due to the tolerances they were quoting on the machine. The S series makino will still blow the best Hurco's out of the water. You could probably replace two of the Hurcos with what the makino will gain you. If you were to go with a S series I would opt for the higher end spindle, and not the grease packed 13,000 rpm one IMO.

quote:

a bit nervous

biggrin.gif

Come on that's the exciting part. Kinda like a Viper or an old Shelby Cobra. Seriously, what kind of trouble did it give you? When ours was new they flew a couple guys over from Japan to replace all spindles within a certain serial# range cause they just didn't sound right to them, no failures, just didn't sound good.

Pretty generous to put Haas in there with the others biggrin.gif

Have you had any trouble on any of the others with the x leadscrew getting hot and growing? If you got the time, drop me an e-mail through the forum. I'd love to pick someone's brain who's got more experience with these than I got.

• 4 weeks later...