Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What new tool paths are in x?

medaq

Where have you been MCAM X isn't for Machinists, just CNC software's attemt at getting Engineers to use MasterCAM. Unfortunately it will cost you/your shop months of re-learning to get back to where you were with Mill 9. I wonder when a C-hook will be written to make the interface work(look) as it did before but with the added features like trimming etc. I've been using MasterCAM since before there were buttons for the functions and I still use it with the Buttons turned off, it lookes as though the BETA testers were given 40" Projection screens so they could see what they were working on. Also it looks as tough the functionality of being able to use L where it asks for a # and then select a Line for the length you want is gone. or Xform translate between points E(endpoint) and O(origin) are also useless.

Hopefully this isn't true but from what I've seen so far long term users of MasterCAM have more to lose by switching to X than they have to gain.

Can't Wait until it gets here.

TG

Troy

I have tested some old customers on the beta versions of X with good results. The trick to X is to realize that the old menu (which I've used since V3) just got rotated 90 degrees. I am starting to use the buttons more than the menus now, but at first I did turn off all the flyouts. rolleyes.gif

Long time users of Mastercam are going to gain alot of productivity from the switch. Just having unlimited undos is awesome enough.

Well I for one am never deleting my 9.1sp2 dir....

quote:

Hopefully this isn't true but from what I've seen so far long term users of MasterCAM have more to lose by switching to X than they have to gain.

I will be learning x at my leasure while still being productive with Ver 9 and all the updated toolpaths in Mantence.

I work on 21" screen at work but have a Laptop for when I need to get something done after hours not sure a 21" Laptop is practical, nor do I think I should need to purchase more equip to support the software every time an update comes out, the cart has gotten in front of the horse so to speak. Also how often do machinists make drawing changes? Really the job is to make it to print( the CAD ). So it is nice to have drawing functionality but not necessary for the Programmer. That being said those people in companies with ISO type standards will be learning a new interface with software they already use to do the same job. Anyway I still look forward to X, I'm just pointing out that it will cost time and productivity as the new sofware is absorbed.

Wasn't trying to FLAME just pointing out what I feel are valid concerns when investing 5 digits for a TOOL.

Like I said before I can't wait.

TG

Troy

When I first saw X, with all of its buttons I was very leary. It turns out to be alot easier to transition than it looks. Most users should be comfortable with it after bout 10 hrs of screen time. And it is FUN. I have been using X for awhile now, but still finding all kinds of nifty new things in it. I cant wait for everyone to have it so we'll have everyone on the forum finding things on a daily basis.

Also its not the size but the resolution that matters. I use a laptop exclusivly and am veryu pleased with the graphics.

Troy,

Anyone who has been around long enough has seen the minumum requirements to run "new" software change. It IS what happens with anything computer related. Try playing Doom 3 on a 1.4gig processor sometime, it may play but it ain't pretty.

I've been around long enough to remember when you needed the floppy drive in the reader to boot up the computer and then change out the disc to run your program.

As far as the laptop goes, just because a piece of software will run it does NOT mean that is the optimal condition for running that software.

As far as designing, how about fixture and machine design? I design all of my fixtures right in MC. I for one welcome ALL the power I can get my little paws on, it makes my job easier in the long run.

From my point there will be little extra cost, I will use the new version as my cushion with already programmed stuff allows, I then assume the full transition will be rather seamless.

You have to plan to do it correctly.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ummmm, you can slide the Ops Manager out of the way if you want to see the whole shebang.

I have a Widescreen Laptop which I've been running X on since February. As for the workstation, I've been running it on a 19" Flat CRT since Beta 1. My normal Resolution on the Workstation was 1280 x 1024, so you need to turn your resolution up from 800 x 600! eek.gif to see everything. On a 21" you SHOULD be running around 1280 x 1024 Minimum. I ran a Flat CRT @ 1800 x 1600 and it was gorgeous.

i always worked faster with software menus with drop-down menus, toolbar icons, model trees (managers). my first 3D cad/cam software was pro/e 20.0. i welcome the changes in MCX.

i think training for new user is going to be much easier in MCX because of the less hidden layout of the options (more accessible).

i'm no expert in MCX, its just what i think.

quote:

Also how often do machinists make drawing changes? Really the job is to make it to print( the CAD ). So it is nice to have drawing functionality but not necessary for the Programmer.

Well I don't know about you or anyone else but most of the time I get a paper drawing to make a part. Everyone else in the forum might have cad files provided to them with everything seperated out into the levels and any extra geometry needed for toolpathing, but I don't. Don't have such a negative view on moving away from our non-windows based program. As it is right now, there is no customization in mastercam. How about no undo in mastercam? I don't know how many times I've made a change and ruined my file. Sure I could save my file after every small change to prevent this. I'm sure it won't be as hard to learn as you are hoping for. If its too hard for you, then stick with version 7 or 8 or whatever you are most comfortable with. I don't believe Mastercam X works with Windows 3.11 for workgroups, so you may have to think about upgrading that too.

I'm telling everyone they should run X in 1280 x 1024. This is an Engineering Application. This is the high end of computer graphics. This is the reason they keep building faster computers. I'm sure there are NO designers that run their Sworks, UG or Inventor at less than 1280 x 1024. I cant believe that anyone serious about running Mastercam is still running on a 15" monitor. I run X on a 17" and a 19" and it looks great on both.

It's called progress. It's also important to note that CNC didn't make these changes lightly or on a lark. These are changes that users and the industry have been asking for. They took GREAT care to implement as much of the standard interface as possible. They have also implemented some new key commands that make navagating the system even easier. I Really Love X!

Of course there's room for tweeks. But CNC has created a stable platform with modern OS functionality. Depending on the age of your PC you may want to make some hardware upgrades. New Cars Require Better Tires and Better Roads.

BYW Troy What Color Model "T" Do You Drive.

Black or Black. biggrin.gif

Mike Mattera

I'm running X on A Dell 20in flat screen at 1600 x 1200. You do give up some drawing space for the fixed OPs manager and the tool bars. I didn't like it at first, but once I learned to use it, I really like it. I don't realize how much I like it

till I have to go back to V9 for something.

As for laptops, I took an old 15" P3-650 on a business trip back in June.

It ran some pretty complex lathe files with no trouble at all.