Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reaming Speed???

Sai

I don't think you can go too slow on rpms, I normally start reamers at 100-200 rpm no matter what the material. feed at 2-3 for harder matals, 5 for aluminum.I will also use g81 cycle. the longer the reamer stays in the hole the more it takes. also I have never indicated a reamer.the reamer will follow the existing hole.

if you do it this way and it still comes out oversize it usually means the reamer is bent.

billy

I'm with Psychomill and Murlin in that I always run them on the "faster" side. Or so I've been told. wink.gif

In 1018 I'd program 70-80 sfm (856-978 rpm) and 2-3 times the feed of a good HSS drill. In this case, anywhere from 10.7-18.3 IPM. I'd probably opt for a letter "N" drill (.302).

In a production setting I'd start on the high side and see what happens. If I can nail the size and the finish is acceptable, then that's what I run. Either that, or I try pushing things a little harder to see what the limit is. I can't imagine reaming a number of holes in a production setting at 3-4 IPM.

Sai,

I have a formula I use for reaming. It's not based on anything scientific but it hasn't failed me yet. At least... it gives me a baseline to start from.

non-ferrous brass, aluminum, etc., I use a feed constant of .024

mild steel .020

high strength alloys, etc., .016

Easy enough to remember?

I then take the drill diameter and multiply it by the constant, then multiply that value by 2 or 3 (2-3 times drill feed). That will give us our feed in IPR. Multiply that by the rpm.

3/8 reamer in 1018 @ 70 sfm = 713 rpm

.375 x .020 x 3 = .0225

713 x .0225 = 16 ipm

Then I go up or down in feed from there.

-Chuck