Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

no setdir chook in x

Carl Hessig

• 2 months later...

I have brought the setdir issue up before.

I really liked the way it would set the path for all four file types to the same folder.

MC9, NC, DOC, NCI.

In that way one could get on with the more important CAD/CAM work and not have to fool with the path.

With X you can use project directory but it does not set the path for all four file types. So everytime you start a file you have to set paths one at a time and hope you did it correctly.

I think it is a real pain to deal with.

Worse, when you go from mill to lathe the file paths will still be pointing to the last mill folder.

This thread had died the day I first started it.

Thanks for bringing it back Gmenzies. I have to agree with Steve Zirtzman's posting in Thad's "I want my F2 back" thread:

-------------------------------------------------If we really want this feature back, everyone on the Forum needs to let QC know with an email!

-------------------------------------------------

I know for a fact that CNC reads this forum and will respond to our needs if they know what they are. Here on the forum is a good place to do that. Keep these threads alive.

Setdir was a real timesaver to us.

Carl

This is another reason I have not been able to use X on a day to day basis. I'm seem to always be chasing directories, and double checking that everything is going to the right place, whereas in V9 I would run the setdirs chook as soon as I started up Mastercam and didn't give it a second thought. Hopefully this can be addressed soon.

Matthew, don't give up on MCX yet, if you use it all time you get better at making sure most everything goes to the right place.

Thanks for your support on this James, I value your input in making this forum so great and I'm sure CNC does too. You have taught more to us here on the forum then you will ever know.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

+1000 for the set dir C hook, that is the first thing I set when I start Mastercam, then reset when I switch jobs or details within a job. Under each job I'll have Basework folder, A Trodes folder, B trodes folder, A plate folder, B plate folder, ect... it depends on the job on a bigger mold I may break up the B and A trodes even more if there are different parts in the mold also A cavities and B cores. I use the set dir C-hook so every thing goes to the proper folder, if you don't split things up and put everthing into 1 job folder you end up looking through a lot of files and wasting a lot of time. If I want to make all the B trodes a week or 2 after I do the programming all I have to do is go to the B trodes folder and I'm on my way real fast or your coworker.

cheers.gif

Is this what you wanted James???

[ 11-07-2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Midwest ]

I too do exactly that Midwest.

I have become accustomed to "ALL" the different areas you must "set" to get your job and details going to the same folder.

Setdirs was much easier, just one setting when you opened Mastercam.

Another small "gripe" I have is when you change your NC name for posting. I sometimes have a great number of programs and when I change the NC name I would like to be able to see the names of all my other posted programs so I don't accidentally have the same name or similar name.