Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New X users READ THE STINKING MANUAL!!!

rsbeadle

Cheers Dan I agree. Sofware development is a knowledge based process each programmer sees things differently and makes things to their liking background expiriences etc. For years Mastercam has gotten better yet worked in a similar fashon now the book has been thrown out... gone maybe forever only time will tell.

I think X is great for someone who knows a little about drafting and where the on switch is located on the machine tool they will be using it for.

That being said those of us who learned to walk(machine) before we ran(CNC machined)and wrote code before CAD/CAM aided programming, know what the flute length of a cutter refers to and don't need a picture next to every imput box to know what it is used for.

Many people must use buttons in Mastercam, moving the cursor back and forth and back again thousands of times a day and I wonder if they would of liked V7,V8,V9 more had the buttons never been introduced in the first place.

I will read the book it is going home with this weekend...

Most of the hot keys are there. I can drive X as much with the keyboard, as I do V9. I also learned CNC by writing code. I walked before I ran. Take a little time and try something new. You might actually like it, if you approach it with an open mind.

TagrpSTi I have a question for you. Do you use the Autocursor, or do you turn it off?

Mike Mattera

IMO,one of the hardest things to do is to change cad/cam software. (in a sense,this is what it is like,even know it is still mastercam)

Your left side of your brain wants dto do 1 thing,but your right side says something else.

It is not easy period!

I personally too would be happy to just stay with V9,but I will put foward my best effort to stay the course with the new version.

If any of you think that there are too many icons/drop down menus/toolbars,try running something like Catia!

Version X is a whole new thing and you must put as much effort into learning how to use it just like you did when you first learned mastercam.

JMO cheers.gif

quote:

Since Mcam used mostly resellers for the BETA I'm sure you have been working with X for a few years now right?

This statement is just plain wrong. I was not a Beta tester but I know many who were and many of the "regulars" on this board were also Beta sites.

So to just paint with that broad brush is just wrong.

quote:

Since Mcam used mostly resellers for the BETA I'm sure you have been working with X for a few years now right

I'd guess that 80% of the beta testers are not dealers ( including myself). While X has been under developement for over 5 years, the first beta release came out last spring (May 2004).

and just so everyone will know, I still haven't read the manual rolleyes.gif

I'm sure everyone thought autocad is faster and easier than solid works or parametrics in general. (Just draw it on size and you don't have to tell it a size to change it) but times change and people will adapt to it and wonder how they used to do it. Besides the newer generations are the ones the software companies need to listen to to say competitive and for further growth they are going to be using this stuff for along time. mho

I am not sure what Mike Mattera was getting at but personally I've gotten the impression that most people who are resistant to the new features of "X" are also aggravated by auto-cursor(X and 9.1). I am sure there are people who will object to my generalization and to them I apologize.

My preference ? I love the new auto-cursor. I would like some options for the display of which entity type is being "snapped" but for now it's a great start.

Matt: I've found exactly that most people who resistant using the autocursor are the same ones who tell me they dont like to make so many picks. When the reality of the matter is, that by turning off the autocursor you are increasing the number of picks required to complete a task.

You can set the items for selection of the autocursor. Next to the X Y X input boxes is an exclamination mark ( ! ). You can configure which items will be considered for an autocursoe selection.

TagrpSTi: Let me tell you about my experience with X. Played with Beta 1, a little with Beta 2, less with Beta 3. Some with Beta 7 and nothing else until right before it was released. Most of the testing was with Actual Users. I've really learned X within the last 4 weeks since it's been released.

And I Really Love X. I have A Hard Time Going Back to V9 Already. This is VERY COOL Stuff.

Mike Mattera

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been busy at work. I sat here for a couple of hours reading posts looking for a possible solution to a posting problem with X. As I read the many topics and responses I saw many posts in which the questions are answered in the transition guide or in the reference guide, but apparently some of us never took time to open them. I have a few problems with X that I have directed to my reseller via e-mail that I hope will be addressed in the first update. I value the forum for it's ease of use and many knowledgable members input. But you have to realize that X is not your kids new bike and you cant just trash the instructions and go at it with you channel locks and screwdriver.