Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ELIPSES

OK, time for a newbie question from someone who has used Mcam for 3 years although mostly self taught.

When I create an Elipse it looks ok on the screen but when I cut it on my routers is is all straight lines. I have been making my elipses in another program and bringing them into Mcam for all this time. How do I improve my Mcam elipses?

Tommy:

We've had similar issues with ellipses that were originally drawn in Autocad and in Rhino. I think there is another thread that covers some of the things we found. For instance, be careful of anytime you do an offset. An offset of an arc might no longer be an arc but rather a spline. I believe 99% of our trouble comes from thinking an arc is an arc or an ellipse is an ellipse only to find that we did something back down the line that converted it into long line segments.

HTH- PBPaul

Make an elipe, then modify-break-spline to arc,

click on the elipse-done-do it. You can toggle in the dialog box to keep the original elipse and the new elipse made of arcs or delete the original elipse.

You can set the chordal deviation of the elipse in the dialog box too. This will control the size of the new arc pcs.

This works great in 9 BUT HOW IN X!!!!!

Anybody?

In V9 create toolpath contour

set cutter to off

then filter to toolpath to get arcs and tangent

lines - experiment with settings - to see what you have backplot using static endpoints

when you have one that looks good

backplot and save as geometry to another

level

In X backplot create geometry does not work

for me

Tommy Dorgan,

The best way to smooth out the toolpath from lines to arcs is to change the geometry into arcs. One way this can be done is to follow Marc Lindsey's suggestion. If the geometry cannot be modified into arcs, the next best thing is to apply the Filter to the toolpath. Perform a Search on this forum for Filter topics and I'm sure you will find loads of great information. This has been discussed many times in the past. HTH biggrin.gif

I use V9 and use "create next menu elipse"

When machined, does not matter what I "filter" or change the tool path is G1 which tells me it is not an arc ( or am I crazy) I would expect to see G2 and G3, and I also get tiny lines as opposed to arcs, again it does not matter what I alter.

I would also like an explanation from CNC Systems as my reseller says I should see G2 and G3

chris f