Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need Help with X

daryl_y

I have recently cut the cord on v9.1 and have been using nothing but X MR1 for a couple of weeks now kinda and like it smile.gif If anyone could help me solve these 3 problems with I would be a real haapy guy.

1) When using mask on arc in v9 you could set to have "filter out duplicates" box checked as a default it is frustrated and hard for me to remember to check the box every time. Also checking the box after the geometry is selected does not always seem to work resulting in having to manually delete points. Is there away to set yhis default in x??

2) The default name for a posted .nc file in X is "machine group 1" is there a way change this to match the name of the master cam file? For example if the program is 7777.mcx the posted file would automaticly be 7777.nc without renaming it.

3) In the orginal release of X when backplotting cordinates were displayed at the bottom of the screen realtive to your current WCS this has been missing on my computer since I installed MR1 how do I turn this back on?

About #2. Do you guys only make one NC file for each MCX file.

I can program one part and it has 4 to 8 nc files in it so I would not want that to just default to the file name. I know no one is telling me I have to but giving an example.

How many MCX files do you say you have for a single project?

I can say for me that I ussaly have two one is the main file that I program the hole part with and the other would be an Autosave file that is set for my Autosave.

Thanks for your time Jay

I agree with Jay and Storkie.

Most of my work has several .nc files, the program for making the fixture, clamping, soft jaws all inside of one file.

Would not work for me either.

[ 02-14-2006, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: jmparis ]

quote:

But many feel as you do (right Thad?
wink.gif
)

A stork never forgets. biggrin.gif

I'm with you on #2, brutha. We post multiple .nc files with each job too, but our naming convention is to add a number before the name. Our file names look like...

1job#det#.nc

2job#det#.nc

3job#det#.nc

with job#det# being the name of our MCX file. Works like a charm! cheers.gif

In the meantime daryl, click Files in the Toolpath Manager and set the directory and file name there. Do this when you start working on the file and it'll default to that when you post.

Thad

Usually only 1 file for program. Most of the parts we make can be machined machined complete in one operation. The exception would be weldments I have only been using x for a couple of weeks and still find it easier to just save the mcx file as something else and program the other operation.

We only use one file per program. All of our geometry is imported from Inventor. I have also been searching for an option to make daryl_y's #2 happen. When you import the geometry, the default file name and path are the same as the imported file (so saving is easy), but when posting the .nc I have to navigate to the imported file's directory and name the nc file myself. I wish posting the .nc was as easy as saving the file.

daryl_y,

Try this, its not as easy as a default, but works slick. In the files section of your machine group, hold down the CTRL key and use your mouse to click on the little file icon to the right of the nc file name. This will auto set the path and nc ame to equal your part file name.

I have been using this and I may need to edit, but I dont need to type out the whole thing.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

quote:

Try this, its not as easy as a default, but works slick. In the files section of your machine group, hold down the CTRL key and use your mouse to click on the little file icon to the right of the nc file name. This will auto set the path and nc ame to equal your part file name.

One of the guys from CNC Software mentioned this a while back. I forgot about it until now.

Thad

I would have to agree that the way nc files are named needs some attention. When I program electrodes or mold bases I have many toolpath groups, each with a different name, stock size, and WCS. It would be much more managable if these properties were controlled by the active toolpath group and not the active machine group.

I know that I can control the nc file name in the "files" tab under properties, but this becomes teatious if you need switch between toolpath groups.

I only create one source program of any part, but create mutiple "machine groups" to segregate each operation.

Doing so is easier to verify, and keep track of geometry.

Mastercam X defaults to the mentioned name it is up to you to rename as you need to.

I creat machine groups, then right click on a group and rename it to what everv I want.

The other way is to right click on the group, select either change nc file name or

change program #

Personaly I realy do not care what the program number is. The "file" name of the program is more important to have listed at the program header.

%

O0001(XYZ-0020-12457-OP20.NC)

and so on.....

When I do a file searched on my computer, I search for the part number instead of program numbers.

Besides, if you use you CNC machine to store program you are asking for trouble......

Also creating "Machine groups" instead of "groups" I find it easier to manage tools and tool list. Kinda creates mini programs within a big program. is this right or wrong? I do not know but I never have file name, or program name issues.

Just my thoughts, tell me if I am full of beans

If you create multible machine groups to control the nc file name issue then you have tool list issues. Yes I realize that I can copy a tool list from one machine group to another, but if you add to an existing tool list you have to go back and update the tool list in the previous machine groups if you want them to be current.

quote:

Lets all Give Ray Culver at CNC software a big hand for this one. It appears from his message that this trick came to us via his initiative. linky

man teh stork and teh thad had some serious bickering going on. biggrin.gif

I like the cntrl click idea, but I still change the group name to the same as the .nc file name.

I want the .nc file to match the .mcx file, but I make new groups for parts that have multiple operations and just add -op1,-op2..etc to the .nc file name.