Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

gouging PLEASE HELP!!

mktchevelle

I am having a problem when filtering surface toolpaths. When cutting a u-shaped cavity with a ball mill or a male radius my part will be gouged in some places. In some cases the arcs are not broken and the machine cuts a 360 arc in my xy or yz plane. This only happens when using the filter option. I have tried changing my filter tolerances but this hasent helped. The part I scraped today has about a .01 gouge in the center of it. My CD is set to break arcs at 180. When I run verify the parts look great so I am assuming it is in the post somewhere.

You need to set the arccheck in the post

Look for something like this

arccheck : 1 #Check for small arcs, convert to linear

ltol : .002 #Length tolerance for arccheck = 1

atol : .01 #Angularity tolerance for arccheck = 2

vtol : .0001 #System tolerance

ltol_m : .0025 #Length tolerance for arccheck = 1, metric

vtol_m : .0005 #System tolerance, metric

What are your filter settings at? If you are cutting a surface sometimes the filter will "gouge" the part if the settings are set to large and it can convert some of your motion to different size arcs.

I never use filter and I set my tolerances small when I need an exact rep of my surface and excellent surface finish for my molds.

Are you having to slow down the machine, because you are drip feeding? Are you slowing down because the machine can't process the data from the control fast enough? Or is the machine just not capable of your surface finish requirement? The last question was the case with out Fadal's. We just had to slow the feedrate way down to get a decent looking part. The machine/control could not accel decel fast enough to maintain the tolerance we needed. I ended up never violating the 40 ipm rule with the fadal's on surfaces an it worked pretty well. You just were never able to reach the sfm the endmills required and their lives were sacrificed accordingly.