Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Faster X Display

Tony,

Your "page file" is also known as Virtual Memory.

As a basis for comparison, how much system RAM does your computer have?

To view your settings;

Right click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, Performance Settings, Advanced Tab, Change

Custom size:

Initial size (MB): XXXX (usually 1.5 x system RAM)

Maximum size (MB): XXXX (usually 3 x system RAM)

Having adequate room on the hard drive to allow the maximum size of the page file is a must. I realize this shouldn't be a problem with today's HDD capacities. It might also help if your disks are tidied and defragged before trying this.

I'm pretty sure that having a seperate drive just for the page file is the best way to set it up for those of you who are really interested in performance gains.

HTH

concepttool,

Optimally, I believe you would want to set-up a completely separate disk, not a partition. I say this because read/writes by applications, back ground apps and the page file will cause bottle necks. Reading/Writing to disk (MB/s) is much slower than RAM (GB/s). So having a disk dedicated to the Page File should be more beneficial than a partition on the primary drive. Perhaps having a partition for the page file on a secondary storage drive would work just as well.

Sounds like a project for the weekend.

Page file info can be found here.

concept/ocean,

They are and they are not. The easiest thing to overlook is throughput.

Try this:

When copying files between partitions the head is constantly moving reading (and being interrupted by the system), then writing ( and being interrupted by the system). Constantly back and forth.

When copying files between drives (separate hard drives) one drive reads, while the other writes.

There is supposed to be much less latency when copying between disks than copying between partitions of the same physical disk.

Make sense?

Maybe someone else can translate that dribble into something coherant... biggrin.gif

concept,

Forget the D and C stuff. It's just more confusing. The file is resident in memory, be it system or virtual, as soon as it is opened. Read the article in the link above. It explains that even though your system may still have physical (system) memory, things are still being placed in virtual memory.

As far a why it helped Tony, I couldn't tell you exactly. It must have been a whopper of a file and maxed out all of his memory resources, making things take longer to refresh. He (and probably the IT guy) is the only one who's seen the before and after. I can honestly say that I have no idea how Mastercam takes advantage of system resources. I see alot of threads on the forum about what's stable, not what's fast.

From my personal experience a Quardo FX 500, GeForce 7800GTX, and Radeon 9700 Mobility all perform at the same level. But I don't work on 20,000+ surface files, either.

I was just trying to help those, who were eagerly waiting for his reply, get some information incase it sounded like something they might want to try for themselves. If his IT department is anything like mine, the forum folk could have been waiting a while. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif