Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Face mill

pete mcadams

I did some Calcs for you.

A 4" dia x 6 teeth face mill in mild steel with Sandvik 1025 grade inserts at .1" deepth of cut needs 17 Hp, Thats 18.3Inch cubed / min removal rate,

and 115 Ft lbs Cutting Torgue. Rpm 761 feed 46 Inches/min.

a lil off topic but do any of you guys take in for count the make up of the insert for your speeds and feeds and what do you do to compensate for radius size pos or neg rakes and so on. people can spew out formulas all they want but until ya unleash a beast in steel see what she can do i think those formulas are useless to many variables

I only use button inserts for roughing will even use a 1" with a .1875 radinsert for finishing if the form will let me. personal preference I guess but one thing I have ound is the smaller the rad the better the surface finish but you give up edge life with the small rads so its a matter of taking the ood with the bad and hopefully finding a happy medium

It depends what you are doing and on what machine .

ONCE we had very old Haas (just imaging ) I used it for roughing and facing and with Die -jet round inserts face mills I used to eat metal .

Was my privilage ,other guys simply were scared to work with such feeds and speeds .

I did in 20 minutes work of couple of hours the others used to do

~~~~~~~~~~

I am a lil surpried they supply to your neck off the woods Isk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a long story .

In a couple of words the guy that is in Israel Seco dealer that I know personaly for many years

turned from Seco (they became too pricey here ) to Die-jet and Ilke them !

The tool I like most for ruffing are the Sandvik 210 mills. They have a 10 degree lead angle and with the chip thinning calc, they love to run insane feed rates. With the particular insert size I have, I can go max .047" DOC and facing stainless at 200ipm. This is on a HAAS btw. The people in the neighboring unit hate it, they say it sounds like a ships horn BBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! when this thing is making a pass. Pete, if you want to borrow this face mill (2") to give it a try, send me an e-mail.

We got a new AJX cutter from Mitsubishi

http://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/mmus/en/whatsnew

2"dia. cutting P-20 745rpm .051 depth .051 chip 153ipm using Mastercams new highspeed roughing program. Also had 6" spindle to cut overhang. I was cutting on the low side of the recomended. Mitsubsihi gives speeds and feeds info on this cutter on steel up to 55RC.

Don't see the our Sandvik cutters getting a lot more use.

Thanks Guys

I am running this mill on a Haas. The job I am working on now is just kleening off the scale on some 40X10 inch bars about 0.02 to take off seems to be runing ok.

I would never have bought a cutter this big but gift is nice.

Most of the faceing I do is smaller and a 2 inch Sandvik 290 works good.

Thanx for the offer Steve I just might.

pete