Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

not a mastercam question

gmenzies

Hello

has this happened to you.

our machine is a Fadal 30/16 with the 88HS control

on Friday the machine just took off to a new position and stoped.

Z axis fault error #18 motor overload

we checked the code and did not see anything

we re-ran the code and the machine did not error out. the Fadal people said it could be a glitch ?

so today everything was going fine. and the machine shot up and over and faulted out.

we are haveing the service guy come tommorow.

so my question again. has anyone experianced this

with a Fadal control 88HS ?

thanks Gord banghead.gif

Fadal,

You're lucky that's all that happened.

You should try my previous advice on warming it up.

A 5 gallon bucket of gasoline and match should the do the job quite nicely. If that doesn't get try tapping magnesium dry, use a cut tap of course so you only get really small chips.

On a serious note, you're probably having an overheating problem.

Yes, I don't remember the details, but a shop I worked in years back had the same problem with a Fadal. We had been milleing steel on it, putting a much larger load on the machine than it was used to. After a few days of running parts it made a jump just like you described. I think it was a board issue, but not sure, may have been the motor.

Either way, no worries, it's not possessed!

Gord,

Runaway is a common problem that usually occurs in a servo system that has lost encoder feedback. the problem results when the optical encoder's feedback is lost at the controller. As a result, the machine keeps applying more and more power to the axis to drive it to the correct location. This would usually keep occuring until the machine hits an overrun or faults the servo drive.

Problems like this can be caused by any number of issues ranging from breaks in the encoder wires to faulty encoders to bad boards, and so, they are often difficult to locate when in a no different situation. One thing that may help is to note how many axes are running away. If it's more than the z, it is more likely a board

We run 5020 and 3016 vmcs. we randomly get z faults. The machine seems to lose z position and when you start the program the head shoots up and we get a fault. Rehome machine and start over. had service check it out and they said it was just a glitch. could not find any problem with the code or the machines. Funny thing is it does it randomly with any program.

WE had the same issue also, after several repair visits, we found out that there was a 'Test" card missing or not sent with our machine. As I was told the test card directs the errors to the correct boards or servos and makes it easier to track down problems.

With our $99 card in place we have not had a similar problem.

Hi Guys

thanks for all the replys.

this is what the service guy did to our Fadal.

1) "With our $99 card in place we have not had a similar problem."

He will investigate this further

2) He found that our 3 phase was not balanced coming in from the breaker box

this will be resolved soon

3) He found that the air pressure for the oil pump was set at 60 psi. needed to be set between 80 and 90.

possibly the ball screws were not getting the proper amount of oil

4) He wipped clean the 88HS control and removed

the cpu from the control box and let it sit.

then put it all back together.

machine is running fine , no problems so far

keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this was a minor problem.

again appreciate all the trouble shooting ideas.

best regards Gord biggrin.gif

Running 8 fadals here... and we have that error from time to time... the issue has been one of two things...

1) luckily most of the time it was just the Resolver for the axis that was faulting out. About a $500 part

2) one time however though, it was the inverter which was about a $3000 repair.

Robert Winters

Programmer