Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Milling Ultem 2300

Lars Christensen

Hi guy's

Knowing that there are a coupel of you guy's who has experience milling this stuff, I am hoping that you would give me some advice. This stuff is to my knowledge 30% glass eek.gif .

It is a block 18" X 8" X 2" that have some different holes and pockets, no shapes that I am particually nervers to program and mill except this is a unknown material to me. I am thinking that my cutter range will be from 1/2" to 1/32 in endmill size's, and I can not use any cutting fluids (demand from customer). I know that I will be putting a good portion of stress into this material, so I am wondering how Ultem 2300 are handling that.

Any advice in cutter selction, amount of flutes, coatings and feeds and speeds would be awesome. I was wondering if I should get a air chiller for this job?.

Thanks a lot guy's

Lars

Lars,

I have machined small parts from ultem, I would recommend some sort of air blast, I found that the

material will build up on tools so you want to keep up on that to prevent breakage. Tialn coating

seemed to work good along with a open fluted cutter. The cutting edges hold up pretty good.

Will be superised as the how much it does not move. Machine it with good sharp tools keeping a decent surface feed all will be good. Air would be just fine for it and just keep a constant surface speed on the cutters of 350 to 450 and all should be good. I would also keep my chip looad to .001 to .0025 per tooth. To little chip load and it like to load up.

hth

SHARP tools are key my friend. i machined a lot of this stuff, including vespels, when i was in Austin doing semi-conductor work for Applied materials. always try to hold parts in a "free State" rather then bolting/clamping them down. Mi-TEE Bites work excellent under this scenario.

Jets of air are excellent as u need to keep the tool somewhat cool as u need to run a higher RPM then usual. back off the chip load (IPR) to keep the piece in tact.

again though, SHARP-NEW TOOLS, are without a doubt ur money maker for this work. Good luck!!!!!!

the greatest problem with 2300 is Stress

if the part has lots of material to be removed

keeping it flat may be a problem

remove equal material from each side when possible

also

unless the material has been planed

I would face off the outer "skin" from both

sides first