Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Moving lots of steel Mitsubishi ajx cavity mills?

daryl_y

I got a roughing operaation where I need to remove a LOT of 4340 steel too cut a boss aprx 5.0 tall I am currently roughing it using 2 3.0 Kennatmetal KSOM ocatagon facemills one with a short tool holder and another with a longer one. and as expected the short facemill cuts good and the longer extended one cuts at a much slower feed rate and is hard on inserts. Our local Mitsubishi salesman is pushing the AJX series cavitymills according to his claims they can cut at very high feeds (.040" IPT) at short depth of cut (.04-.06") and can be used in extended reach apps. Does anybody recomend these cutters what do you guys use when you need to move a lot of steel?

www.mitsubishicarbide.com/mmus/en/whatsnew/new002/ajx.htm#

quote:

according to his claims they can cut at very high feeds (.040" IPT) at short depth of cut (.04-.06")

His claims are on a low side wink.gif .

You can push it a lot more with a rigid setup and machine.

Search for ajx and you'll get couple really good threads from this forum...

cheers.gif

I tried out the ajx on 4140 and it was almost scary how fast that thing would run. chips were flying off like popcorn. I didn't buy it because the salesman told me not to take full width of cuts or convention mill with it. Which is what mastercams "rough paths" use to do. but I've been thinking about looking at it again with the new highspeed paths.

beej,

80% width and climb using the new highspeed roughing toolpaths works great with the AJX. We bought a 2" dia. cutter and in P-20 I cut using .051 DOC > 150 IPM > 745 RPM > .051 Chipload > 6" overhang from the Spindle. It cut for an hour and I did not have to rotate the inserts. It is a much better cutter then any sandvik cutter we have.

Another tool thats VERY good is Ingersolls Form Master Line. "feed mill style" we use Iscars high feeds but Ingersoll seems to be more stable. FYI Ingersoll 2" dia form master .05 doc 40/50% step over runs 1350rpm and a feed of 320imp you'll get 3to4 hrs per edge on your inserts with good program methods. "never conventional cut!!!!" also we have run the 2" tool projected out 8" in length

the seco superturbo mills work great. Chop mill to get the bulk out and then use about a 75% width climbing for the rest. they have (what i consider) an agressive 13 degree ramp in. they also cut a 90 degree wall and leave a nice finish. run dry.