Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas users

Jim ..

Hi does anyone know if their is a spindle lock code or setting on a Haas machine (Mill) I am thinking of getting an air spindle attachment for running 25k to 35K rpm but I need the spindle locked from rotating. And can I set Mcam to out put this code instead of normal spindle start-stop. Any help thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SAIPEM

No, The word "orientate" is one of those words that has ended up in our lexicon simply because it has been misused for so long.

For many years, "ain't" wasn't in the dictionary either.

Intransitive tense shouldn't be used when transitive is the grammatically correct usage.

It's indicative of poor education.

You "Orient" a spindle.

You don't "orientate" anything.

A spindle's position is its orientation.

Jim

We have a 201js that we use for engraving aluminum fishing reel bodies. so far the tool has worked well for this application. We bolted a stop up to the face of the spindle to keep the tool from rotating. One word of caution: many machines when a canned drilling cycle is activated the spindle will start at the last programmed speed--learned this the hard way. It ripped the hose off of the air regulator and was whipping the hose around at 2000 rpm.

DS

Pissing contest time biggrin.gif j/k

But to validate my earlier point

quote:

"Orientate" still sounds wrong to me, even after learning that it is acceptable. About fifteen years ago, I had a long running disagreement with a South African friend who used the term. I insisted that it was a non word which had crept into acceptance because it was so commonly used. Much like 'normalcy' in the place of 'normality."

To my chagrin, I finally learned that it is the preferred usage in South Africa just as it is in Great Britain.

Orientate as a word

Guest SAIPEM

Mr. Paris-

From your own source;

quote:

Q: I'm confused about "orient" and "orientate" and "orientation." If I give an orientation, am I orientating or orienting?

A: You are doing either, for orient and orientate have the same meaning in non-technical senses.

These two verbs, drawn from the same base (French orienter 'to place facing the east', originally used of the placement of churches) have developed the same extended sense 'to familiarize with or adjust to new surroundings or circumstances'. The shorter form arose in the eighteenth century, the longer in the nineteenth. Orientate is sometimes criticized, but it is fully standard and has been used by a variety of major authors, including W.H. Auden, Margret Mead, Tennessee Williams, and Aldous Huxley. It is probably more common in England, while orient seems to be the preferred form in the United States.

Since the context of this discussion is an outrowth of a TECHNICAL subject related to machine operation vis-a-vis SPINDLE ORIENTATION, 'Orient' is the correct word to use.

v. or·i·ent

To align or position with respect to a point or system of reference.

Simply being an author does NOT make one a linguist or an authority on language.

Use whatever one floats your boat.

Be aware that in a business situation in the U.S., using 'orientate' will automatically label you an uneducated rube to those with whom you engage in conversation.

Heh, being thought of as "uneducated" is far better than being thought of as an arrogant jerk. It is easy to prove that you are educated, but once people think of you as arrogant, it is hard to get them to think differently. So tell me SAIPEM, are you having a bad day, do you need to get laid or is your underwear too tight?

Guest SAIPEM

Well Mr. Paris, I couldn't care less if you think I'm arrogant or not.

I'm sorry it hurt your feelings that I used your own link to prove your use of the word was incorrect in the context at hand.

What you may consider arrogance is merely supreme confidence in my abilities.

Proper use of language is one of them.

If you don't wish to be considered an uneducated rube, you could start by spelling the words properly when you are attempting to insult me.

Please feel free to ignore my posts as you clearly know everything already.

Your Words

You might have hurt my feelings, if I actually had any.

I deal with ignorant f*cks like you all day, you're just another fish in a rancid pond, nothing more.

Education maybe, class, not bit.

Guest SAIPEM

Mr. Paris-

I educate you about the proper use of a term and I'm the ignorant one?

You're the one who resorts to obscenities and I'm the one with no class?

Your insecurities are showing.

Lighten up Francis. ;-)