Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Curve5ax Mystery - V9.1

Slick

We are just now running some files I programmed almost a year ago. As I recal, everything was rock solid, bullet proof, backplotted etc.

Now we have the parts on the machine and WHAMMY! a little glitch that the operator could not have caught on the dry run, the part is scrap.

I put the file on the FTP site, Mc9 Files, "UHOH.Mc9". If backplot it, notice the dive the cutters take on the right hand side, just one little move about 0.250 deep.

I've racked my brain on this one, I have 10+ files just like this one and they are all fine. It would be great if someone out there could point out what the heck I'm missing. I'm sure it's obvious, you know how it is, when you stare at something too long everyhting ends up looking fine.

Thanks!

Were you having trouble with a chain when you

originally programmed it?

I've seen cases when someone would bump up the chaining tolerance to get through a rough spot.

A year later someone runs the file with default chaining tolerance and the file blows up in their face.

I think my original idea was correct.

With the default chaining tolerance of.0001

the curves wouldn't chain

I bumped the chaining tolerance to .001 and it chained and regened correctly

V9 really really sux!!

This is the first time I've messed with it in a long time and I don't like it smile.gif

quote:

Opening the tolerance does fix the problem

That does work, but its a dangerous solution for the reason demonstrated by this thread. A year later, with default settings, the file blows up and junks a part.

I only bump chaining tolerances as a last last last resort.

Having learned this the hard way,I leave a big warning note when time constraints or a cranky chain force me to bump the tolerance.

That way whoever opens the file a year later will know there is trouble ahead smile.gif

quote:

Its not like it wuz a mile

It was a Cincinatti 3 spindle gantry mill

I got the blueprints for the machine and used them to design a fixture.

The blueprints said the spindles were 24in apart

Like a dumba$$ I never went downstairs with a tape measure.

The spindles are 30in apart. rolleyes.gif

Hiya Jack... Sorry 'bout the delay. I had a bit of a mishap over the weekend... Mmmmm, Redhook!

Anyhow's, I hear what yer saying on the chaining tolerances, I run mine at 0.0004. That's what has me duped. It chained whe I assigned it. And I have the same toolpath in four other files, and it works fine. Kind of goofy. I tried the re-generate too john, but it regenerates exactly the same.

No worries, I'm putting down as a tolerance issue. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!