Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling seq out?

DavidB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Does not mean its correct

Not to speak for the guys at QC but I think what that means is that was the design intent and it functions as it was designed.

Is it correct, that's another question.

Matt

Go back to my first post.

I have 13 arcs I select them in a straight line.

Mastercam scrambles the order I select the arcs and I have numbered the arcs in drilling order.

Which is scrambled to the order they where selected

entities are just one of the many ways to select your drill points. There are people that use this as it was designed, when they create their geometry in the order they want them drilled. And they might say:

"why would I want to have to pick my "X amount of holes" every time I want to drill them? I already decided that when I created them!"

It is easy to look at something as "wrong" when it doesn't do what you want it to, when the whole time it may be doing something exactly the way someone else wants it to.

There are situations that the drilling order of holes is very critical due to thin material, fixture design, coolant flow, chip evacuation, part deflection, consistent sizing, etc... Using entity makes this a non issue for many people.

JM2C

I understand exactly where you're coming from David. wink.gif

I am trying to help you argue your case. It has been this way for numerous versions, true... But it never should have been ! This is one of those things I used to think...

"Ahh, DOS system... As soon as they get into Windows all this silly stuff will go away"

Not without a fight apparently... rolleyes.gif

The solid was created in ProE.

I created edge curves ALL on the solid FACE. So I get all curves in one shot.

Why would I create individual curves on every hole in the order I want to drill them?

It should drill in the order I select my entities.

If I make a 2D contour toolpath with more than 1 contour should I create the curves in order? No it's done by selection order.

Createing curves on the solid face I can not determine the order of edge curve creation

DavidB, you have the option of using the autocursor to select your points in the order you want them to be drilled. Using entity is in addition to that option, another tool for someone else who does things differently than you. You can still pick entities and use the sorting options/drag and drop to change their drilling order.

HTH

I am an Idiot but I still cant figure this out!

first if you use solids for drilling you can not get the change at point to work. So I create points at the desired locations which work for change at point. So when I pick them to drill it does not do it in the order I picked, But you are right it is the order I created. Is there no way around this except to create them in the order you want to drill them?

No problem cheers.gif

I know quite a few people that would be very upset if this was ever "FIXED" so they were drilled in the order they were selected.

I do like Matt's idea though. This function has worked this way for as long as I can remember. I think the only reason it is an issue is because when X was initially released you could not "lock" the autocursor to center like you can now. Since I can lock the autocursor, I personally rarely use the "entity" selection function. Unless I'm working with someone who can use its functionality of drilling in the order of creation.

From the other thread...

quote:

It seems to order them according in chronological creation order not the picking order.

It sounds more like a discovery than a statement of how it's supposed to work.

quote:

There are people that use this as it was designed, when they create their geometry in the order they want them drilled.

That sure sounds like an odd process. Sorry, but I don't believe for a minute that a designer's or machinist's mind works like that. As stated earlier, this is only one of many methods to select points for drilling. You're telling me that users alter the way they design their holes in, just to be able to use this one selection technique? I just don't buy it.

Thad

Thad I could not agree more.

So I guess I just have to stop selecting my drilling points by entity.

Who would ever think to design a solid part in the method of machinig?

Maybe I could ring Lockhead Martin and tell them to redo there JSF solid parts because my drilling cycle is out of seq biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif