Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

massacre

elraiis

hey guys.. how is life going?

Guys, i've been doing programming and dealing with Aluminum and Brass only practically.. mmm.. now my boss got me a job 4140 metal and looked it in mastercam mat library it said cs is 35!!! the cutting tools are carbide no high flutes or coated or such.. the estimation of the little flange i did was 56 minutes eek.gifbanghead.gif am missing something... and the problem is here 'me' for sure... help with stainless steel and metal cutting plz. or suggested good tools that i can use and run at high rpm and good feed. I SAW SPARKS GUYS.. so i screwed up real good i guess. flame.gifbiggrin.gif

waiting for ur help plz.

I gotta second the motion on the Vari-Mills... We use a ton of them on our 4140 pht stuff... Their sppeds and feed chart is pretty good too.

We run them dry and have zero issues with them. You can run them wet as well. The ones with the corner chamfer are a lot stronger for serious roughing. We use an end mill holder with the Weldon flat because we've pulled them out of just about every other holder we've tried... Even heat shrink... Don't be afraid to bury them depth wise either..

cool.gif

Mark and Dan have the right path. I personally havn't tried Kenna... Also I have had luck with the Metal Removal Maestro line through J&L. 350-450 sfm work with rc35 or below with a stable setup box ways wet or dry. 200sfm for 13 chrome or hyper chrome or stainless. Also I have recently been using hydraulic milling holders-awesome.

[ 07-06-2006, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: machtek ]

elraiis,

We can throw out alot of information to you to help out, however, it could make your situation worse because there are many facters we do not know...

A little more information:

How far does the cutter have to protrude from the holder?

What type of holder are you using?

What type og machine are you using and what is your max rpm?

Is the work peice and clamping rigid?

One piece? How much material removal?

And, are you trying to use the cutters you have for alum/brass or, are you able to buy cutters for your application?

I would tend to agree with 400 sfpm for 4140 HT. That is the standard I start at, and for small finishing cuts I usually do between 525 - 600 sfpm.

Stainless is a little dependant on grade, but for general use, I run at 250 sfpm. Finish a little faster (300 ish. But again, depends on what SS. 17-4 IMHO is way easier to cut then 316, and such you can run a little faster.

Feeds for all based on what type of insert you are using, and DOC.

wow.. smile.gif thanks alot guys.. that is shocking... those of u who are suggesting 400sfm! what type of tool are you using? the VariMill?

i checked out the variMill.. looks good to me.. lol.. well u c i used carbide EM and around 200sfm.. everything is rigid here the part is held well.. but i guess its the tool that caused the entire fireworks spectacle.. it was sharp corners tool and became bull head. biggrin.gif i appreciate all. but the prices of the tools.. my boss said no. why am i not surprized? firebounce.gif he gave the job to a small machine shop.. biggrin.gif thanks alot guys anyways. smile.gif

peace

i once took a 5mm cut (not on purpose) through the length of a kurt vice jaw (very hard) with an SGS 12mm ZCARB (almost 1/2") traveling at about 25 inches per minute, 3000rpm. i guess those are pretty good cutters for that ...

these are metric feeds and speeds so you have to convert them if you are using english...

they are also based on the SGS ZCARB tialn cutters

2.0mm ENDMILL 7800 780

3.0mm ENDMILL 9549 1146

4.0mm ZCARB 7950 1132

6.0mm ZCARB 6472 1294

8.0mm ZCARB 5053 1213

10.0mm ZCARB 4043 1294

12.0mm ZCARB 3369 1617

14.0mm ENDMILL

16.0mm ENDMILL

18.0mm endmill 2246 800

20.0mm ENDMILL