Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

1st attempt at threadmilling. Any advice?

RMagnusson

I'm about to threadmill something for the first time and I'm kinda nervous. I'm always nervous trying new stuff on our mill, the spindle is SOOOO fragile.

My part verifies well, I will be cutting 5/16-18 threads .406 deep in 2024 aluminum w/ a 3fl 9 tooth threadmill. It kinda weirds me out that the .250 predrill hole is only .005 larger than the threadmill frown.gif

I have the threadmill set to do 3 .02 spaced roughing passes, and starting at the top so it doesnt engage the whole tool at once. Feed set to 10ipm plunge @ 5ipm. My mill only has 3.5 hp and spindle speeds between 10k and 50k so I set the spindle at 25k to generate some power. Flood coolant is on.

Any advice?? I dont want to break a $150 threadmill, or a $1000 part, or a $10,000 spindle, or...

If it is an internal right hand thread it starts at the bottom and works up.

I alos would have opted for a smaller diameter tool for the 18 pitch thread, I like a "little" roominside of the part.

I would mill it in one pass and from the bottom up. Maybe a flex pass if I saw any taper. 25,000rpm is plenty fast, 10ipm is OK for plunge if you have only a couple of holes to do, 5ipm is way slow. I would probably start with something like 12,000rpm and 30ipm (way conservative) and figure on cranking it up from there. If this is your first thread milling experience it can be scary. Dry run it, then run it in some wax or model board and finally in a piece of scrap aluminum to build confidence in the machine and cycle. You will like thread milling once you get comfortable with it. Good luck.

I like to threadmill from the top down on right hand thread (G2) engaging only one tooth but I mostly cut hard steel. If you only have .005 clearance and you use 5 or 10 ipm the hole will be cut supersonic might only look like it wiggles a little and will take a super acurate machine to make a complete thread. Also if you engage all of the tool (bottom up) where are the chips of the initial cut going to go? just my .02

You need to start with at least a Ø.257 hole, this will decrease tool pressure. You will also need to get a smaller diameter threadmill for this hole. Ø.236 is max recommended for Ø5/16 thread regardless of pitch. Threadmill diameter is typically 75% of the major thread diameter or .3125 x .75 = .236. If you use a larger diameter tool your thread form will not be correct due to tool drag, although it is hard to see. Bottom up milling will wear the tool evenly across the teeth verses wearing out the first tooth with Top down. But, Top down can be fed much faster due to less tool pressure and deflection. For a RH thread its climb mill for Bottom up and conventional mill for Top down. We try to do without spring passes to lessen cycle time and tool wear.

Wow, so many good replies.

So far I've:

Increased feed to 30IPM,

going to redo my predrill holes to .257-.265,

will inquire about another threadmill.

I'll try to mill it top down this time and if the mill doesnt load up too badly I'll try it from the bottom up.

..And going to tripple-check my numbers.

So I finally "smashed the start button."

It went ok I guess, for a first try anyway. Bolt wouldn't thread until I ran a hand tap through the 'threads.' Works fine afterwards, but I'm not really trying to just 'pre-tap' the holes.

The threads are too tight diameter wise. I am using .3125 for my major dia. Should I make it larger by a few thou?

• 3 weeks later...