Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New workstation opinions

jmfrank

Got a new workstation on order with the following components.

HP XW8200 Workstation

3.4 Ghz Xeon w/1MB cache, 800 Mhz FSB, 2GB of DDR2 Mhz ECC RAM 6 open slots, 36.4 GB Ultra 320 10K RPM Hard Drive, 16X DVD, Nvidia Quadro FX1400 Video PCI Express video with 128 MB of Video RAM, integrated audio, Integrated Intel 10/100/1000 ethernet

36GB Ultra320 SCSI HD

Add on CPU Xeon 3.4Ghz

HP - 1 x Intel Xeon 3.4 Ghz (800 Mhz FSB) - L2 2 MB

Kingston 1GB DDR2 mem module

(2) 1GBx1 - DIMM 184 pin - DDR - 400Mhz ECC Registered ( MUST BE ADDED IN PAIRS)

Whata yall think about this setup for running Mastercam? I seem to remember from previous post Mastercam being a little finicky with certain video cards or drivers. Just curious if the above components are good for a Mastercam box. Anything you would change?

Matt

Thanks for the input. I see computer specs and it might as well be in another language. The primary software here is UG so the workstations are geared to work well with UG. Just didn’t know for sure about Mastercam.

Thanks Matt

I remeber that someone had a test file time your computer, it was a mc file and you had to refresh the tool paths and record the time. The computers with the 10000rpm raptor drive were faster with the refresh, some alot faster. Im not saying that the hard drives made all the difference in the world, but the combination of high speed parts as a whole made the difference. It sound like you have an awsome system on the way, but for a small amount more you could wring out just some more performance from the combo. I would hate to get the computer and say I wish I had bought this or that for it. Most people forget that this is a tool, and you want the best tool to do the job, a workstation is alot less than a new seat of MCX level 3, or that new Yasda machining center biggrin.gif . Hope this helps. cheers.gif

quote:

a 74 gig 10k drive

The 10K Raptor is a very nice hard drive.

Its a nice compromise between a plain jane

hard drive and a full blown SCSI drive.

The Raptor has about 80% of the SCSI's performance

at 1/3 the SCSI's price.

If you work with large files, you will notice adifference

I am totally surprised by this the comment about the issue with Xeon. I have never had a call or found an issue on them.

The setup is good real good compared to what I see out there.

Most of you would be surprised how cheap people go on computers.

I spend hours on the phone trying to explane that they should not go to best buy and get the Emachine or the $399 special from dell for the month.