Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New PC: Would this be OK with running MCX?

Dan_AKA_ROY

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 2MB cache, non-HT)

Chipset: Intel 975X Chipset with DDR2 and Intel Core Duo support

Memory: 2048MB PC5300 dual-channel DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)

Controller Card: Integrated Ultra ATA100 and Serial ATA II/300 controllers

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 256MB Dual DVI - Dual Link w/HDCP & TV-Out

Hello Forum,

Our IT guy wants to know if this PC will run fine and dandy with MCX. If you could give it a once over look I'd appreciate it. We haven’t purchased it yet.

My question would be is this processor OK? It's a brand new type of processor that just hit the market apparently. Is it fast enough? Also, is the 2MB cache enough? Any other suggestions or tips would be great.

The only comment I would make is that the Processor does not have Hyper Threading available. Mastercam does not currently use hyper threading, but it may at some point in the future. Why Intel would use a dual core (multiple threaded core) without HT is a bit confusing. Are you saying Non-HT meaning that you are ordering it with Hyper Threading turned off in the system BIOS? If so, that would be ok because you can turn it back on in the future.

Is it a laptop? 1.86 Ghz seems a little slow. I would try and push closer to 3.0 Ghz if you can afford it.

Otherwise it looks like a good system. Good video card and the 2MB cache should be good.

HTH,

Colin Gilchrist

The Boeing Company

MR2 and Beta test site

Colin,

Thanks for your input! I didn't even know what 'non-HT' stood for. I'll copy your post for our IT guy. I did inquire about the processor speed when I saw the specs today and was assured that's fast enough for a dual processor. But, I think we'll go a notch faster.

Gilberto,

Thanks for the recommendation! E6600 will be mentioned by me! cool.gif

Dan the duel core works just fine, I have it in my laptop. I always kick up the cache when possible. But that can be expensive. Jparis bumped his new box up to 4mb and the price almost doubled. This does look like a laptop setup, I assume. Even at that the processor seems slow. 2.6 or higher, I would say. Sounds like your IT guy found a bargain. (P.S. I am an IT guy).

that video card will cause you issues. if you have to go with it, look for the latest nVidia drivers that offer their new control panel for optimizing performance. it is a gaming card that will need to be really tweaked. you will see when you try to rotate a multi-surfaced mold with it dynamically. it will work, but you will really need to tweak the properties in the control panel.