Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Manager

mtnflyr

When selecting tools for a part, if I choose more than one of the same type of tool, I get the message "A similar tool(#1 - 0.5000 ENDMILL1 FLAT- )already exists." How do I make this stop?

The worst problem is if I copy operations to another Toolpath Group it will eliminate any duplicate tools. Please help. banghead.gif

I guess I'm not getting my point across.

I'm not talking about duplicate tool numbers in the Operation Manager, I'm talking about the decsription of the tools in the Tool Manager . I have umpteen Endmill1 Flat 0.5000 endmills in the tool manager. They all have a different Tool Name but the Tool Type and the Diameter are the same. When selecting tools from the Tool Manager if it sees that I already have a Tool Type Endmill1 Flat Dia. 0.5000 of one name and then select another with another name it thinks it is the same tool.

mtnfly bst thing I can tell you is make up new libaries for each machine. Then you limit the tools you need and their decriptions to only what you want. I perosnally hate a 500 to 700 tool libary to call up and go thorugh. Much easier to just go though a 20 to 50 tool libary on thing I know I got I know I need. You can even go as far as have material spefic to machine spefic tool libaires if you want that way if you have youe setting at set speeds and feeds by tool and have your tools dialed in you are set and up and running with very little effort everytime you need to do a new program.

HTH

I don't really have a problem with the number of tools in my library. I do have libraries for specific types of machines, base on RPM limits, and also for different materials. I tend to use a lot of 1/2" end mills of various lengths so there will always be duplicate Endmill1 Flat 0.5000 in my library. That's just what I've been using as an example. That goes for most of the dia. end mills I use.

I didn't have this problem with version X. I know whe I was setting up X2 a question was asked about duplicate tools #s. Apperantly I choose the wrong option. Shouldn't there be a way to change the way the library lets you choose tools?