Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is the best 3 axis retrofit for Bridgeport

mike561h

Hello Friends Merry Christmasm and happy New Year,

I will helping set up a small shop for a company.

They purchased a old Bridgeport and want it retofitted. WE will be using Mastercam to run it. I have used Acu-rite controllers before and Prototrak. I noticed Acu-rite has a 3 axis retofit. Does anyone have any input on them? I also saw Haas has a small toolroom 3 axis that starts at 25 grand. I can't find the prices on their website.

Thanks,

Mike

I have used the acu-rite. If you're not expecting much you may find it adequate. I have run g-code thru it and that goes fine. It's biggest benefit is you can give it and a blueprint to any machinist and he can learn to run it easier than a regular cnc.

The biggest issue with the acu-rite is the z axis.

#1 The rotary encoder version z axis simply does not work correctly and faults out very often.

#2 You can upgrade to the glass scale z axis (which we finally did) but because of the way the retrofit is designed you get way too much slop on z depths. I have seen depths blown by .005-.007

You can get (sort of) accurate results if you want to fiddle around with it but you will waste lots of time.

If you're going to program with Mastercam anyway I recommend another look at the Haas (or anything else that is not acu-rite)

What does the retrofit cost? These retrofit machines are not very rigid at all. Nor are their feedrates very fast. They definately have a place but most people outgrow these units very quickly. Milltronics and Haas both have knee mill style mills, and I'm sure there are others, that are just over $20,000 that are waaaaay more machine that what the retrofits will give you.

It depends on what you are looking for.

One last thing, any cnc is better than no cnc and once you have something it is usually pretty easy to justify the next step up.

good luck!

• Like 1

Mike,

Is the Bridgeport a Series I or Series II?

Was it a CNC type machine such as the Boss?

SouthWestern Industries makes a retro kit for many models. If it was a CNC already and the ball screws are good then that will save them a few bucks. The latest controls (SMX3) come with many options.. such as electronic handwheels, DXF input, G Code editing at the machine, etc.

The extra options of course cost extra. Thread milling is any example of a canned cycle that comes with the higher end package. Also, Route 66 makes retrofit kit with a nice Z axis. I believe the costs for all the options including electronic hand wheels is under 20K. IMHO

Hmm, hit return key ...

Anyway IMHO for a small shop doing short run production work the control is fine. Easy to learn and with MasterCam you can produce some very good parts rather fast. Like mentioned above it aint a 4/5/6 axis CNC but.. it offers many more jobs opportunities than the convential manual knee mill.

Good luck

These machines (prototrak and accurite) are great for prototype work and one of parts. They are not suited to production work unless it is small aluminum or plastic parts. The lack of a toolchanger, rigidity issues, slow feedrates etc., severely handicap them. They do have a place in quick 1 part work and prototyping,, no question. Unless it is a large or complicated part, a good machinist/toolmaker can have single part in your hand before the programs/set-up stuff is even complete on the big cnc mills.

Have you talked to anyone from Hardinge(Bridgeport) yet? Hardinge links straight to Acu-Rite. I would sooner only have to go to one source if there is ever a problem instead of getting stuck in a game of pass the buck. So, if those two have a contract I would certainly go that route.

Haas, if somebody gave me one, I'd sell it without even looking at it, based on my own experience with them. Seriously, look at how many of them are for sell out there that are one or two years old. Then ask yourself, "Why are they selling them so soon?"

Mike you should be able to build a quote on the Haas website and print it right out. There are other similar machines out there as well. IMO 3-axis CNCs on true knee-mill Bridgeports suck for all of the various reasons stated above. If you want a 2-axis I would go with the Prototrak because there are a billion in service and everybody knows how to run them. If you are going to spend the $$ for the third axis I would really look into a better machine.

C