Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mc8 file converter???

Sem001

Every once in a while when mastercam crashes on me while saving and then when I go back to try to retrieve the file I can usually see the bitmap but when I try to open it I get the message..

Incmpatable version numbers run Mc8 file converter

Where is this converter and how do I get my surface back?

Jay,

What causes these files to become corrupt in that file there were only draft flat boundary and a swept surface just a basic geometry for a core out insert. If I was only as good at creating good files as I am at corrupt ones life would be a beautiful thing. I even have a file at cnc software right now.Inhouse thinks I found a bug in 8.1.1 but still no word from the top dogs yet.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Inhouse thinks I found a bug in 8.1.1 but still no word from the top dogs yet.

Here's the other bad news, even if you did find a bug in Version 8.1.1, they stopped development on Version 8.x some time ago.

Use autosave make the filename it saves to "Backup.mc9" or something like that and that will possibly help. I use it and I have it save every 10-15 minutes just to be on the safe side because our power circuit is attached to the Machine Shop's.

I use the name "Autosave.mc9" for autosave files, as I use the prefix "Backup" for intentional backups of files. When playing around with customer files which creates errors, it is often useful to be able to retrieve the original file.

If you use the autosave function, then the autosave file will be a correctly saved mc9 file, which will not produce that error. You will loose up to 15 minutes of work if the autosave function is set to autosave every 15 minutes, but how much work will you loose if you have to start from scratch?

I used to not like the idea of autosave until the default configurations were changed in the v8.1.1 upgrade. When I finally realized autosave was switched on, I was VERY glad to see it as I needed the backup file.

I really don't know what I was thinking, I don't think I could live without autosave now.

• 20 years later...
On 3/22/2002 at 8:05 PM, cadcam said:

Here is the bad news.

there is no convertor and this saying your file is corrupted.

Sorry sir.

Hey!

I think you are right, Because this is 100% chance to file corrupted. When file are corrupt then he show notification "Incmpatable version numbers run Mc8 file converter". Thanks  

• Haha 1
  • Huh? 1

Unless you have a really old machine v8 or v9 is a no go now

neither version can see the old printer port hasp or usb hasp on a modern computer

V8 and V9 will still run on a nethasp though.

The archives at work have thousands of V9 files, some quite complex.

For years you had to open them in ascending versions to run them in the X versions or early MC202* releases as the solids would blow up

However, I recently opened an old V9 file in MC2023 and it came in perfectly which was quite a shock

• Like 2
On 3/22/2002 at 7:04 PM, Sem001 said:

Every once in a while when mastercam crashes on me while saving and then when I go back to try to retrieve the file I can usually see the bitmap but when I try to open it I get the message..

Incmpatable version numbers run Mc8 file converter

Where is this word changer tool and how do I get my surface back?

For files that automatically save, I use the name "Autosave.mc9," much as I use the prefix "Backup" for deliberate backups of files. Retrieving the original file can be helpful when tampering with client files that results in issues.

• Haha 1