Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Don't believe the hype V9

Greg Williams

Hi folks,

I have been using version 9 for about two months now and I believe that 8.1.1 is a better system than the over hyped V9. With 8.1.1 I never had any problems, no PC crashes, no bugs and no stange happenings all for me worked fine. V9 has a handy addition in the containment boundries and it seems to work a little faster over some 3d surfaces but at the end of the day it falls over more than me after 10 beers, it deos stange things, the new toolplane systems is not as friendly as the old one and the fanuc work offset system (G54 and so on) still needs some refining, I think that I will be sticking to 8.1.1 until the next upgrade arrives.

A heretic, burn him!!!!

Funnily enough Ive felt that V9 has been overhyped too, about the only major differences between V9 and V8 seam to be those with solids functionality, and speaking for a company that dosnt need solids functions in MasterCAM, then I dont see why we should pay for added functions in an add on that we dont have.

But still, Im going to take a look at a 30 day demo, but Im not going to be easilly convinced, especially after all the problems Ive been hearing about its stability, better the tortoise than the hare I say!

I finally beat James to the response on something

I would like to see some of the problems you are having with V9. Would it be possible to email me some more information about the problems?

How do I duplicat problems.

Rather than list everything I like about v9 I will just ask you to check out 3 functions.

new toolpath, surface, finish, project, blend.

The EA manager

New verify

V9 lathe also has many new features.

If anyone is interested I can email you a doc file.

"Whats new in v9.doc".

I would like to have people who like v9 to add to this thread.

We are always looking for input from users about how we can ehance our product. Please forward any ideas or problems to mastercam.

[email protected] or [email protected]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

A heretic, burn him!!!!

For Sure!!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Crashes? I run Mastercam V9 at work for work and at home for my student's school projects so it gives me a pretty good feel for a wide range of activity. With my home system(Dell PIII 800MHz running Win2k), Mastercam has caused a crash about 3 times. Twice while in Beta and once this weekend. My work PC(Athlon 1.2GHz running WinNT) rarely crashes perhaps a few times in 6 months and I have other programs running at the same time so I'm not convinced that Mastercam is causing the crashes. So your claim that

quote:

at the end of the day it falls over more than me after 10 beers

seems a little on the odd side.

V9 is different with the WCS stuff but in my line of work the relatively short(mastery of the WCS in about a day or two) was well worth the time spent getting used to it. DWG Translator is now FREE I use that ALL THE TIME. The new Solids features are a tremendous help. The new Operations Manager kicks A$$. Finally adding selecting check surfaces is as easy as selecting drive surfaces. Building a Solid from Surfaces....... how cool is that? Yeah I know "Solid Works and other software packages have been doing that for some time" but I don't use them, I use Mastercam. The list goes on, and on, and on. You'll have to pry it(V9) from my cold dead fingers.

Strange things you say? Can you repeat any of your problems? If you can have you sent a description to [email protected]? You know, If you only come in here and gripe and don't gripe to Mastercam QC then you're not really part of the solution are you? Yes it takes time to write an e-mail, no it's not really your job to send e-mails to [email protected] about problems with your software BUT the rewards for doing that are Better Software, More Stable Software, More Friendly Software, More Powerful Software, etc... Isn't that all you really want anyway?

JM2C

[ 03-26-2002, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

All,

I'm new to the Forum and may not follow all of the rules of conduct, so i'll apologise in advance. Anyhow, we are aware of some problems in Version 9 and are planning a Service Patch release for late April. We are waiting that length of time to make sure we have identified all of the critical issues so they can be addressed. In the meantime i would encourage anyone having problems to promptly report them to [email protected] with a clear explanation and a sample file. Please do not assume we already know about the issues you may have. i cannot guarantee we will find and fix everything, but i can guarantee we won't fix it if we don't know about it.

Follow Greg Mckay's advice and go through the What's New file, there may be some things that you haven't found that will make your life easier.

PMguy

BTW - The Service Patch will be available free as a download as soon as it is ready.

BILL W.

quote:

me after 10 beers

quote:

A heretic, burn him!!!!

When you left your last job,was it at night, with a hole village of people chasing you with touches ?

Every time Mastercam makes a virgin change ,it is a total pain. I have lived thru all of them .This will be the first time that I have had the support from you guys on the forum. Please commit to virgin 9 ,and don't flake ,don't make the other men dig the well that you drink from everyday.

If anything can go right it will at the best possible moment.

I'm running V9 in WinXP and I REALLY like it. It's true that not much has changed "up front", but underneath I see a lot of work.

And I don't just mean conveniences, like more and better dialogs.... but real stuff. Have you tried the new 4-axis toolpaths? They ROCK.

I'm not a C-programmer, but it seems to me that Mastercam is such a vast program there will always be some teething problems with a new release (even Microsoft has those problems). Historically Mastercam has addressed those right away.

Guys,

Thanks for your replys, I will try to keep a log of my problems and let my local dealer know so that he can pass on any info, I cannot sent any files directly to Mastercam as my company policy on sercurity is very tight and in depth, I do believe that V9 will be a very good system when the current bugs are fixed and yes I have checked out the new functions in V9 and I have read the what's new doc however at this time a feel that 8.1.1 is a better option for me.

I will try turning off the open GL function and if this solves any problems I shall let you all know, To James, Are you a Mastercam seller?

Hi guys. I have been running V9 for about two weeks and I see some real advantages over V8.1.1, but I have been having some problems with Mastercam V9 freezing while preforming simple 2D geometry operations. Mostly modify, break, at length ( MC freezes after I click the entity and says length with the box greyed out) and fillet. I like it so far and the free DWG converter saves me about 5 minutes per part to set-up for MC. I set my auto-save to every 5 minutes so that I don't lose a lot of work when it freezes. I would have liked for the configuration update to carry over to the operations defaults. I had to spend half a day resetting helix, ramp, tool filter, and job set-up parameters for each operation. Hope this info is helpful.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

To James, Are you a Mastercam seller?

Nope! Just a "hardcore" user. Dont take what I said the wrong way. I meant it in the most constructive way possible. I just like most of the other people in here make my living using Mastercam.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Greg,

I used to work for the local Mastercam Reseller but figured that sales was not my bag of tea. I'm more of a computer nerd/techie than anything else, but I do ike to get my hands dirty in the machines.