Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Hello,

First time poster. We run MasterCam X, SolidEdge, Rhino, and AutoCad. Along with your other regular programs, ie: excel, word, etc...

We are wanting to get a new computer but don't know where the best place to go is. Would anyone have some suggestions on where to shop for a ready made machine?

Thanks in advance!

Quote:

"I think what all of this proves is anyone needing SERIOUS number crunching and using ANYTHING less than a 1333FSB chip and 12 megs of L2 cache is going to be in for LONG waits."

Heh, or get another Cam package.

Reply:

I couldn't agree more. It's too bad that the customers of CNC Software have to work so hard to come up with a solution to make Mastercam work.

A big pat on the back to those who obviously know their way around a PC, but truly a sad saga continues.............

Hello,

First time poster. We run MasterCam X, SolidEdge, Rhino, and AutoCad. Along with your other regular programs, ie: excel, word, etc...

We are wanting to get a new computer but don't know where the best place to go is. Would anyone have some suggestions on where to shop for a ready made machine?

Thanks in advance!

Bought mine from Dell, Happy with Computer and service...

Dell precision XN T7400

8GB DDR2 SDRAM

3.2 GHZ QUAD CORE NVIDIA QUADRO FX 4600

160 SATA 10K

XP PRO X64

4min 15 sec Bench mark

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought mine from Dell, Happy with Computer and service...

Dell precision XN T7400

8GB DDR2 SDRAM

3.2 GHZ QUAD CORE NVIDIA QUADRO FX 4600

160 SATA 10K

XP PRO X64

4min 15 sec Bench mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice PC! What did it cost?

8600 Canadian Dollars about 8 months ago

My system came in around $1800 complete, no monitor, and I'm getting 3 min, 43 sec benchmark times. Most of the BIOS settings are auto--I manually set the FSB to 470 MHz and bumped up the voltages until it ran stable. This puts the RAM at 1880 MHz. Anything over 470 MHz FSB ran too hot because voltages had to be higher to stabilize. As it is, this system running Prime95 runs in the upper 60s to low to mid 70s C. Too hot for me for continuous use, but Mastercam running the benchmark only gets to mid 40s C and the system idles at 32-34 C. So I feel pretty good about about the overclock.

ASUS Rampage Extreme MB

Intel Q9650 Core2 Quad Processor, OC 4.2 GHz

2 gigs Patriot Viper DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) RAM

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7

WD VelociRaptor 150GB, for Temp/Regen files and Page file

WD Caviar 160GB, for programs and OP system

Pioneer DVD R

Antec 900 Case

Antec EA650 PS (650 W)

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512_P3 Video card

Micrasoft XP Pro, SP3

Bogusmill, it seems we are learning what hardware does the best job for us. Regarding my new system, I am not convinced that much has really been gained with the DDR3 memory--sure it's operating at a faster speed but it has higher latencies. It would be interesting to see if you could use the Q9650 processor OC to 4.2 GHz but using some of your fast DDR2 memory, that you might actually get a better benchmark time. I am not familiar enough with memory to know how best to overclock the DDR3 and alot seems to be out there for DDR2. If that's the case, your Rampage Formula board with a Q9650 and some fast overclockeable DDR2 memory may just be the best bang for the buck out there! Thanks and please keep us posted!

Quote,

Thats $7408 US dollars. That's a great benchmark time. For that money I could have 5 of my home builts that run it in 4min. flat. THATS why I started building my own

Bogusmil,

I wish I had the computer know how you have and the time to do this, My grey area is down time on computers, How reliable are these computers that your building. Sure you can fix it but what about the average joe.

Just a side note ...

I have had my Costly Dell computer for about 7 months. One morning Computer would boot up nothing.. So this was @ 6:30 am by 10:30 am Dell service tech with new mother board power supply and some other items were @ my Shop door. 11:30 am Computer up and running good to go... A little pissed that a $8600.00 had a problem, but happy that it was fixed Quick.

Particularly from a business use standpoint, there is a plus to letting a service tech handle your issues. Especially if you are not computer saavy.

I've been down for almost a week and half at this point in time but I know what my issue is and I am waiting on a replacment part. ASUS's RMA procedure S**KS!!!!!

If I did not have access to 2 other computers at home I'd be screwed.

So if you don't know you're way around a computer or know someone that be the there "like that" there is a benefit to paying tech support.

John, you bring up a point that hits the nail on the head. Here is your quote from above.

"So if you don't know you're way around a computer or know someone that be the there "like that" there is a benefit to paying tech support"

We already do this. It's called Mastercam maintenance. My question is this. Why is up the forum memebers/Mastercam users, to come up with a way to make Mastercam work properly (faster)? Where the hell are the people who write this software? Why are they so silent? Isn't it their job to develop the software to embrace modern computing technology? If I buy a new car, am I expected to be the mechanic as well to make it work properly? I have no problem admitting that I don't know how to biuld or tweak a computer. I shouldn't have to. Leave it to the people who get paid to do this. My point is when you have paid out good money to the developers in maintenance dollars year after year and they keep feeding you the same crap with minor "improvements", its tantamount to fraud. I think its way past due that CNC Software "step-up to the plate" and give their customers what they deserve. Take care of your customers...... or someone else will !!!!!!

quote:

Where the hell are the people who write this software? Why are they so silent?

Thank you for posting this. I would like to see CNC Software more active in the Enhancements Forum where many people have put a lot of effort into suggesting ways Mastercam can be improved. Most posters have not received any response to their suggestions.

quote:

I've been down for almost a week and half at this point in time but I know what my issue is and I am waiting on a replacment part. ASUS's RMA procedure S**KS!!!!!

So John your P5N-D went bad? I've guess I've been fortunate, never have I had one I built go bad and I've built maybe a dozen. Building your own is not for everyone. However the part about how I could have built 5 of mine for the price of 1 bad xxxx Dell statement is a pretty compelling reason for me at least. And the people who use Mastercam and this forum certainly are bright enough to do it if only they have the will and the time for it. Anyone need a hobby?

quote:

So John your P5N-D went bad?

Yup.

Asus has had some terible quality issues as of late, I thought I'd go that way, since running an SLI setup I am "somewhat" limited in choice of boards. The worst part of this is in it's death throes, it appears it took out my DVD Burner and my external USB drive. Both have mysteriously died at the same time.

On the external drive, I was at least able to get all of the information, it was only the electronic board that went. I crached open the case and it is only a regular IDE Hard drive, I installed it a different system and was still able to access all of the info. When I get back going I'll copy it all onto a new 1 terrabyte drive and be back in business.

I am wondering after this ASUS debacle whether I might try one of the EVGA 780i SLI boards.