Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

With a laptop your limited, I think you are likely as good as your going to get.

That 2.0 Ghz chip probably only has 2 meg cache on-chip, that is a HUGE limiting factor that can only be remedied by a better CPU with larger on-chip cache.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

X2 MR1 SP2 best number was 6:44

X3 PC2 best number 6:10 with for the first time through on my system.

:41 Sec with X3 PC2 second time through.

Still an inprovement. Granted only :34 sec, but an improvement is an improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad,

I have my Q6600 2.4 ghz, FSB 1066 OC'd to 3.0 Ghz, FSB 1333

My original time of 7:12 was marked down to 5:30

I wound up having to change my mobo out, the original one I purchase the Intel D975XBX2 was a good board but I kind of goofed when I bought it from on overclocking standard and as I slipped my second video card into the system, realized that board supports the ATi Crossfire technology and not Nvidia's SLI, I have 2 NVIDIA GTS8800 extreme cards.

So I bought an Asus P5N-D, which is very OC'able.

With the added FSB and addition voltage required my CPU temp never got above 40°C

and the hot Northbridge 750i chip set never got above 39° C either.

[ 08-31-2008, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutions® ]

I just ran my year old Dell M4300 @ 6:45 after making the total tolerance to .0001 on all 3 operations then regenerating (X3). What would be considered a decent time using a laptop?

Off subject really quick, has a lot of you changed to XP Pro SP3?

Dell M4300 precision laptop

T7700 @ 2.4 GHz

4 GB of ram

Nvidia Quadro F360 M

XP Pro SP2

quote:

Off subject really quick, has a lot of you changed to XP Pro SP3?

All my computers are on SP3 now..

SP3 was mostly security upgrades.. I have never seen any cliams to better performance nor have

I noticed any with my computers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bugusmill,

I actually had a worse speed when I first got it back today. 7 min 38 sec. (i almost blew a nut) mad.gif

I called the tech that installed the new chip and he walked me through this.

I went to intel and downloaded a bios flash for my motheboard. The (1 yr old) board needed it for the new chip

(BTW if you flash your bios with the wrong update you will need a new board apparently)

Then it gave me the proper 5min time

9-26-20088-10-08PM.png

9-26-20088-15-56PM.png

It's a straight up Mastercam time no BS on it.

I "tweaked my 2.4Ghz chip a "tad" I overclocked the standard settings

from 266mhz x 9 = 2.4 Ghz

400 X 8 for 3.2 Ghz

course I had to mess with voltages and stuff as well.

smile.gif

My original 7:12 time for this set up has been knocked down a bit.

Don't try this at home

So that makes mine the fastest, right? biggrin.gif

Nah, you see the temps on that.

I am no where NEAR even starting to get close to burning anything out.

smile.gif

woo hoo, I thinkI can get to 3.6 Ghz on this with only air cooling. I have 11 fans in this new I just bought.

Check out the Antec 1200 for a computer case.

Played around with overclocking for the first time ever today. Using the stock Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Ghz CPU (333 X 8)and stock cooler. With no overclocking X2 ran in 6 min 25 secs. X3 ran it in 6 min 30 secs. Overclocked it mildly to 3.00 GHz (375 X 8)and X3 ran it in 5 min 55 secs

My usual temp without ocing is around 38C idle, and 52 under load. With ocing it was 48 and 68. I set it back to stock settings until I can get a high performance fan/heatsink. Since I am new to overclocking what temp should I be trying to avoid?

Some chips are more prone to OC'ing than others.

The Q6600 G0 stepper is a really good chip. That was why I originally purchased it.

Thermaltake, Zalman and a couple of others make really good CPU coolers. I use a Zalman 9500.

Your stock temps while not considered "hot" are warmer then I;d like to see when starting out OC'ing a system. My system idles right around 25°C, if you look at the screen shot, those temps were recorded idle while OC'd to 3.2 Ghz.

Generally, under load your CPU should not get above 65-70°C, under 100% load.

Staying around 50°C at idle while OC'd would be stable place to be. Most CPU's should not get above 90°C, if you're running that HOT, it's way too hot.

Cases are VERY important, you MUST create and maintain a good airflow.

Check out Prime95 for a good stress testing utility, run it in torture mode.

Also, see if you can lower your voltages may help alleviate some of the heat as well. A good cooler and some thermal paste, I use Artic Silver 5, good stuff. I am also going to lap my heatsink to make certain I am getting as much surface contact as I can.

I checked out that Tom's hardware site. The Intel max temp spec is 72C, so its right near the top end at 68. I knew it would be high with the stock Intel cooler even though I used the Arctic Silver compound. Thats why I only went with 3.00 GHz to try it. I would like to get it up to 3.2 or 3.4 if I can keep it stable. I have a good Cooler Master Centurion case with 2 fans and a place for a 3rd fan. Going to neweggs site next for another case fan and CPU fan/heatsink.