Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fadal gcodes for retract Z home

Hello,

I am wondering what the best codes to use to retract the Z axis home on a Fadal using format 2. I can't have anyone try it for me and the customer is 300 miles away. The machine uses "Tool Lengths" like a Horizontal mill and large Z work offsets. They tried G49 Z0 in the past and get a crash. I think this will not work on a fanuc type system either.

All I need is a Fadal equivalent of "G91 G28 Z0" or "G53 Z0". One or both of these may work but I am hoping for someone that has seen it work.

Thanks in Advance!,

Mike

This is the beginning for one of our Fadal programs:

%

N2 O2055

( FADAL VMC 4020 / 620-55 .NC )

(STEVE Z / 10 - 25 - 06 / 09:12 )

N10 G0 G40 G80 G17 G90 Z0 H0 E0

T1 ( #4 HSS CENTER DRILL............. )

( CENTER DRILL ALL HOLES.... )

N11 M6

N12 S1800 M3

N13 E1 G0 X-10.005 Y-4.855

N14 H1 Z3. M8.1 L12

N15 G81 G98 X-10.005 Y-4.855 Z-.2 R0.1 F3.

N16 X-9.505 Y-5.9535

N17 X-7.755 Y-4.855

N18 X-8.505 Y-2.005

N19 X-8.63 Y-.7035

N20 X-5.505 Y-1.005

N21 X-.755 Y-.755

N22 X-.755 Y-5.6963

N23 G80

N24 G81 G98 X-.945 Y-3.605 Z-.1 R0.1 F3.

N25 G80

N26 M9

N27 G0 G40 G80 G17 G90 Z0 H0

N28 M1

T2 ( 5/32 HSS NACHI TWIST DRILL...... )

It would seem that "H0 Z0" would cancel the offset and send the machine to Z0. Since there is a Z work offset applied from the gage line to the top of the part ( maybe like Z-15.00), the machine would try to send the gage line to the top of the part resulting in a crash.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

I am very sorry Rick. I am in kind of a stupid situation where I can not try it. These people are telling me that there is not a way to do this and that they have tried everything. Their work around for M0's etc is to just do a tool change everytime. They want special posts without retracts even on M0's

Thanks,

Mike

Michael,

It seems to me all of these suggestions would likely work, so that got me thinking.

Now, I don't know if this is possible, never tried it. Could they have their CS position set wrong?

TheePres, Thanks

John,

I am not sure about the CS position, I can only guess it is correct. I do have a question for you though. If G54 Z is set to the top of the part and you did an MDI of "Z0", then wouldn't the machine ram the Head into the part? If no, why not, if yes then why would it not do the same thing if programmed. They are setting the G54 Z just like a Horiz mill. IOW, it must be like Z-15.

Just trying to get to the bottom of this thats all.

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks for the code Scotty.

Brandon,

Welcome to the Forum! and thanks for the input. What are you referring to by "Fixed cycle"?

All,

It looks like a Fadal is like any other standard machine with Fanuc type gcode. You must always use a "G53 Z0" or a "G91 G28 Z0" when you utilize Z work offsets and Tool lengths ( many people say positive offsets).

Thanks everyone.

Mike