Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I get into 5 axis?

MILLRUNNER

I don't know if anyone here reads Manufacturing Engineering magazine, but I read it regularly. My boss gets it monthly along with some other magazines. When he gets done with them he always passes them on to me. As I read these magazines, my interest in other fields of work has been increasing. I work in a tool and die shop, and I program a vertical CNC, a CNC lathe, and 2 AGIE wire machines. My line of work is always busy, but It has just come to the point where there isn't much challenge to what I do. I want to get into a field of work where I might be able to be given the opprtunity to run a 5 axis, or program one, since I haven't done that yet. I live in South Alabama, so the pay here isn't as good as what I would imagine it would be up North. I would like to maybe get into something in the aerospace field, or medical. I like the kind of work where I would design a part, or I only run small numbers of parts. I absolutely do not like production. I don't have an engineering degree, but I would like to maybe work with an engineer. Some have suggested maybe mold making, but I haven't found anything in that field. I have an associates degree in machining from a local tech school. Relocating may be an option, considering the circumstances.

Does Anyone know of a way that I could get my head in the door with a job opportunity like this, or where I would begin to look?

Thanks

Look on the net I came to California for a job and been out here ever since. I did have the owner of the company I was working for tell me something since he was from here. He could not figure out why I would want to come here where they have the very good and intelligent aerospace people. Well I am about making 3 times what he was offering and been doing aerospace out here every since. If you listen to all the people who tell you that you can not you will not. Have to make a plan then go through with it. I know of 6 places right now looking for a good programmer, with ethics, willingness to learn, ability to learn, and wanting to grow in the profession. You want it then go get it bottom line. I always heard would have, could have, should have. I am the one that did against everyone telling me I could not, should not, and would not.

Good luck but think you just need to do it or you will never know if you can!!!

I would create a resume and cover letter that states everything you just said in your post. Make it professional and send it into as many aerospace companies as you can find. Tell them that you know 3 axis machining (surface machining right?), lathe, and wire and that you are looking to get into more complicated machining.

(Ok, so here is my little Boeing plug: Apply right now! You can do it online!)

Everyone in manufacturing is hiring right now. Either because they need more people, or because their programmers left for better paying jobs and they need replacements.

In your application (or maybe after the interview when they say "I'd like to hire you"), you might want to state that you are looking for re-location assistance if it is available. I might even go as far as telling your prospective employer something like this: "I would be willing to take $x.xx dollars less per hour for one year" if they would pay for re-location.

You will get a big pay increase if you move out of AL, but the cost of living will also go WAY up. Just something else you will want to consider.

Hope that helps,

Millrunner,

I think it is great that you want to challenge yourself. I am in a very similar situation with my current job. Most of my career I have only done 2D and 3D machining and programming, but I always wanted to keep pushing myself. I finally got an opportunity to work in a shop that does 4 and 5-axis work. The way I got my foot in the door was by being honest with them. I told them that I didn't really know how to do the 4 and 5 axis work but that I knew I could learn it if given the opportunity. They started me out with some easy jobs and have been giving me increasingly harder work. I still have a long way to go but this job has been the perfect opportunity for me. So I say honesty is always the best policy. Tell them what you know, and what you would like to eventually work your way up to. Then be willing to do whatever it takes to learn what you need to get the job done. I have spent alot of my own time learning things outside of work to help me with my job. This forum being one of the main places I learn.

Justin

Well put Colin! When he says cost of living will also go WAY up he means WWAAAYYY up. It's all relative. I moved from PA to WA.

Millrunner I went from 2D and 3D CAD to 5-axis. It was a bit of a change going from CAD to CAM but it gives you a strong foundation. You can do the job you just need an opportunity. Get your resume out there. Focus on what you know not what you don't know. You can learn. Most of it is wanting to be challenged and you have it.

Colin,

Any chance you might want to fly me over there, set me up with a generous relocation package, and a huge salary? cheers.gif

I'm free this Thursday if that suits? biggrin.gif

(Wishful thinking!)

Millrunner, I could bet that most of the guys on here started programming because they talked the talk, and could prove they could do the job if trained properly.

I know I went into my interview knowing very little about the specifics of programming, but with the right attitude and determination.

Just go for it. Get your Resume typed up nicely, and fill it full of juicy facts that employers want to see. Don't pad it out too much with lots of words. Get it sent to all the employers you can find doing what you want to do.

If you're not in, you can't win!

I was in a similar situation up to about a year ago. I had the perfect job with an above average salary. But the challenge was gone. I was bored doing the same thing (and that included some 5 axis programming). Some people look @ me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I switched companies, but I just wasn't "excited" about showing up for work anymore.

The molding industry is slow right now, at least in this part of the country, and aircraft work is growing like crazy. I have worked for Pratt & Whitney years ago and I wanted to get back into larger more challenging work, as well as to be able to work with exotic materials. I did some searching, went to a bunch of interviews and landed this new gig (the web site is not up to date). Not only did I get to learn UG (I still miss Mastercam, but NX isn't all that bad now) but I get to do all the 5 axis work as well as mill/turn on our new Integrex that my little heart desires. The money is even better then before, but that wasn't my 1st priority. Never a dull moment in here. Believe it or not, but I like working under the gun. There are stressful days, but they are very rewarding in the long run.

It's very difficult to find people that want to learn and grow. Too many get comfortable with their surroundings and let their guard down. They just want to put in their time and go home. I want to make a change. I want to expand what I know and absorb what I don't and then put it to good use.

Polish up that resume and hit the trails, but remember it's not always very easy starting at a new place. You sound like you like a challenge though. Good luck

quote:

Some people look @ me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I switched companies, but I just wasn't "excited" about showing up for work anymore.

Some people just don't get that Rob, do they?

I know of what you speak

cheers.gif

I work at the National Institute for Avaition Research @ Wichita State University. In avaition research dollars we are 3rd largest in the USA passing MIT and the Air Force Acadamy this year.

I came here with many years exp. in manual machines and tool & die work, design and drafting, and was Windows literate. Now I'm the only one here making 4th axis parts and am about to start 5th axis machining and I'll most likely be responsible for a Mazak Integrex mill turn machine. I've been asked if I would teach a MC or Catia class. Being research there's NO production here and I get to see the future everyday.

I could make more money elsewhere but I don't dred going to work everyday. I can't believe they pay me to build model planes (among other things) and play with thier toys.

[ 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: bogusmill ]

Bogusmill,

You guys ever do any tours over there?

I went thru some of the engineering halls many years ago, but never saw any manufacturing areas. I think it would be cool to check it out.

Millrunner,

Aerospace is hot right now. The Wichita area smaller shops are looking for machinists and programmers.

There is an open house in the spring for graduating students to show off projects. You can visit the wind tunnels, crash, composites, structures and virtual reality labs at NIAR, plus the electrical and computer engineering dept. in Wallace Hall which is where this shop is located.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Some people look @ me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I switched companies, but I just wasn't "excited" about showing up for work anymore...

THAT is why I do what I do. I just can't sit behind the same desk for year after year seeing the same $#!+ day in and day out. More power to you if you can do it but if I'm not challenged daily, I want out.

Airbus has a Catia wing design office here now. Lots of road construction and a new arena going up. Boeing and Spirit at all time employment highs. Paper says over 1/3 of aircraft workers are baby boomers and retiring in the next decade so lots of open jobs coming.

WSU is building like crazy too. New baseball stadium, engineering and avaition lab buildings going up on each side of this shop.

Manufacturing job wise it is doing rather well.

Cessna, Spirit, and an increasing number of small to mid sized shops.

Otherwise, The west side has expanded to within a couple miles of Maize and Goddard. East side pretty much to Andover.

Ummm,

They redid the Keeper of the Plains last year:

Keeper of the Plains

Built a museum on the river a number of years ago: Exploration Place

Still Wichita.

smile.gif

It is nice to see some more people from Wichita in here, I am planning starting Catia classes next month at WSU. I am using Mastercam now but haven't done any 5 axis work yet. Just 4 axis rotary. I am going to start with the design sketcher class and hopefully work my way in to the 5 axis stuff on Catia. There have been some good job openings for people who know V5 lately in the newspaper.

Maybe I will see you sometime bogus?

Kevin C. smile.gif

Cool, are you at Hillside and 13th? One of our guys is in the baja club. He'd probably like to ask you a few questions. They are paired with the formula team. They design and build their vehicle and are given a motor to use at the race. They want to build a constant speed tranny like the Nissan Mirada.

No we are out in Cheney behind the fairgrounds.

Four or five years ago the shop I worked for built a tranny case for the baja team and I helped them out when i was was taking classes. They really get in depth with that car. You can have them give us a call and we can set a time to meet with them or even do what we can over the phone.

Millrunner has got drive. Somebody give this man a job. Hey Ron, aren't you looking for somebody? As far as getting into 5 axis I got into it just by changing jobs. Of course there was the inevitable aerospace layoff ("we just don't have the work.....")and 6 months of state funded lesiure time. Went back into medical and floated on up into mangement.

5 axis isn't all that hard. Approach and retract points/vectors are important, chip removal, pivot point offset, and tool presetting are just about all you need to really worry about.

Get into Millturn when you can. Good luck