Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

17-4 ph

MCFELIX

I treat 17-4 PH like 4140. 200/250sfm with carbide. 60/100sfm with hsco. I always use HSCO drills on 17-4 at 60sfm (1146rpm for .2 drill) with very good results. I dont like small carbide drills. We run unattended on most of our jobs. If we run carbide drills seems like the guys on the floor always add a M00 to check for broken drill which slows down the cycle.

+10000000 to "what's the heat treat condition?" We run 17-4 PH all day in a variety of hardness conditions and as the other boys said H1150 is the best. Even a HSCO plain-jane screw machine drill should get you through 100 holes at 40SFM with a 1XD DOC in most conditions [except really hard stuff like H900] so I don't know what the heck you have going on. I would launch that 3-flute drill in the barrel for that application due to lack of chip clearance. If you need to run a relatively cheap drill I'd be looking at a F5522 or similar from Guhring; if you want to spend $45 for a drill and plow it in there then I'd be thinking 5514 of some similar also from Guhring. The OSG is probably a fine drill as well but I do not have any experience with it. I think you guys are dreaming with 200SFM unless you have coolant thru but I could be wrong.

17-4 will only get to about 43rc if I remember.

Ares very from 37-41 rc I would run a hss drill at 770 and .003 a rev peck down about 1/2 first peck maybe .2 the next and only about .06-.08 after that and just walk away. Thats what i do and it just cuts forever. I also flood cool. I know u have carbide but are spot drilling? I would just centerdrill .08 dp then drill from my experiance.