Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS VF-3 programmable coolant

Bowfisherman

I recently recieved a haas vf-3 with programmable coolant. Story is, I have a few other VMC's but none have programmable coolant. I am using MCAM X MR1 and would like a little insight as to how I make this programmable coolant thing work and where code needs to go and if MCAM has a macro or setting that turns Programmable coolant on.

Thanks,

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

In a nutshell if your machine needs/wants a code to turn something on/off, you can do it in MC.

I know nothing about the new Haas Programmable Coolant Nozzles, I know the older ones you set up in the tool table. It may still be that way I don;t know but if yo uput up some code, I'm sure we could point you in the right direction.

quote:

Do you adjust the spigot to tool one of the program and then input tool offsets afterwards

No,setup your tools in holders and load in the machine, now when you run/prove out your program you will adjust the coolant as each tool comes in the spindle. On the control panel are coolant up and down buttons to adjust the position for each tool. After you manually adjust the nozzle go to the Tool Offsets page and adjust the number for position which is the first value after the tool number. You can use positive or negative numbers to edit the values that may already be there. For example T1 has a value of 4 and you moved the nozzle down. You go to offset page and it shows the coolant positon to be at 6, move the cursor to T1 coolant value and type 2 and push input. You get a value of 6. Now when you run your program the nozzle will move up and down with each different tool. HTH cheers.gif

Iowa,

Not to mince words, but I would disagree with you about the programmable coolant. Would it not be called 'programmable' so that it could be using in conjunction with a G or M code? I am fairly certain when I ran a VF6 years ago that I was throwing in M (maybe G) codes to get it working... I will have to look into it.

I set up my programmable coolant at the control. After I get all the tool heights in, I go back and do the coolant. On the Haas control>hand jog> offset> Coolant Position is the column right next to the tool number. Move the cursor to the tool you want to adjust to under the Coolant Position column adjust the coolant up/down and enter the number. Change tools/repeat for all tools.

When you go to change programs or whatever, if you do not clear all values, you will need to do math (at least I do) Say your coolant is position 3, next program you adjust it and it is 7, instead of inputting 7, you input 4 and it adds the 3 and 4 and that's where the 7 comes from. Confused me for a while when I first got the machine.

HTH, I hope I didn't confuse you any more. biggrin.gif

After further review, I see I almost copied iowajim using different values. redface.gifbanghead.gif

Oh well biggrin.gif

[ 10-16-2007, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: John Kulp@Amphenol InterCon Systems ]

quote:

When you go to change programs or whatever, if you do not clear all values, you will need to do math (at least I do) Say your coolant is position 3, next program you adjust it and it is 7, instead of inputting 7, you input 4 and it adds the 3 and 4 and that's whee the 7 comes from. Confused me for a while when I first got the machine.

just put in 7 and hit F1 and it writes it. otherwise you can do teh math like Keebler. rolleyes.gifcheers.gif

I have a little macro which reads the tool-offset table. At each tool change, I call the macro (G65). The macro reads the tool length and will automaticly adjust the programable coolant if no coolant position is specified. ie position=0

If a value is present to position the coolant, the macro won't automaticly move it.

Not perfect, but it gets it in the ballpark and saves a few keystrokes.

All of my tools are set from a Renishaw tool-probe. So they are always a constant length. The macro I use is:

%

O09005 (M88-COOLANT POSITIONING)

(10-05-06)

(#523 STORES P-COOL POSITION)

(#120 IS FOR VOLITILE USE)

G103 P1

#1= #[ 2000 + #3026 ] (GET TLO VALUE FOR TOOL IN SPDL)

IF [ [ #1 GE 2.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 2.500 ] ] THEN #523= 5

IF [ [ #1 GE 2.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 3.000 ] ] THEN #523= 6

IF [ [ #1 GE 3.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 3.500 ] ] THEN #523= 7

IF [ [ #1 GE 3.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 4.000 ] ] THEN #523= 8

IF [ [ #1 GE 4.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 4.500 ] ] THEN #523= 9

IF [ [ #1 GE 4.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 5.000 ] ] THEN #523= 10

IF [ [ #1 GE 5.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 5.500 ] ] THEN #523= 11

IF [ [ #1 GE 5.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 6.000 ] ] THEN #523= 12

IF [ [ #1 GE 6.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 6.500 ] ] THEN #523= 13

IF [ [ #1 GE 6.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 7.000 ] ] THEN #523= 14

IF [ [ #1 GE 7.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 7.500 ] ] THEN #523= 15

IF [ [ #1 GE 7.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 8.000 ] ] THEN #523= 16

IF [ [ #1 GE 8.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 8.500 ] ] THEN #523= 17

IF [ [ #1 GE 8.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 9.000 ] ] THEN #523= 18

IF [ [ #1 GE 9.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 9.500 ] ] THEN #523= 19

IF [ [ #1 GE 9.500 ] AND [ #1 LT 10.000 ] ] THEN #523= 20

IF [ [ #1 GE 10.000 ] AND [ #1 LT 11.000 ] ] THEN #523= 21

()

()

N10 (HOME P-COOL)

#120= 20.

WH [ #120 GT 0. ] DO1

M35 (MOVE P-COOL UP 1)

#120= #120 - 1.

END1

()

()

N20 (POSITION P-COOL)

#120= 1.

WH [ #120 LT #523 ] DO2

M34 (MOVE P-COOL DOWN)

#120= #120 + 1.

END2

N100

G103

M99

%

At each tool change, You need to call the macro. You will need to modify your post so it outputs like this:

T1 M6

G0 G90 G54 X1.75 Y-.6252 A0. S5229 M3

G43 H1 Z.75

G65 P9005

M8

G98 G83 Z-.0857 R.65 Q.1 F20.9

You will probably need to modify the p-cool values above to suit your particular machine, but you can see pretty easily how it was done.

In the machine's tool-table, the p-cool value is set to 0 and it should automaticly adjust.

Ken, now that's a thought... I don't see why it wouldn't work. As an alternitive, I suppose you could associate the Macro with an unused M or G code.

If you are able to modify the M6 macro, would you send a copy. It sounds a little cleaner that what I was able to hack together.

Surface, would another thought to your 'not perfect' option be to reset the values of the tools used to 0 in the coolant setting? If you can change the number I am sure you can zero it... then you dont have to cycle thru all the coolant pre-sets and zero them between jobs...?

Just a thought, good idea btw!

I am also interested in the M6 macro if you manage to hack it =]

It seems I may have stuck my foot in my mouth (again) by assuming I could edit the M6 macro on our HAAS control. I am having a hard time even getting to see it let alone edit it. I think its a factory installed macro that I cant call up or see without knowing the proper procedure to make it appear.

We have 90+ cnc's here and only 7 HAAS mills so we are not familiar enough with this control to do this (YET!) Anyone know how to call it up, output it or just replace it?