Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Macs

chowquoe^

quote:

Why wouldn't they support a mac?

A reseller doyleg?

Because how can you fix a customers problem when they are not running something that is even supoorted by the developer? Why would they go in for those headaches?

Hard enough when you got people who want to know why they can't run V6 on new system, even though they are on maintenace.

You can't support on non-standard configuration

Not a reseller, but I would rather run something that is proven than something that is in its infancy as is vista. We are going to wait at least 2 years before upgrading to vista because of the hog it is to your computer. I am no expert in computers at all. I only know enough to get me in trouble. But I am no idiot and unless you have some major bucks for a top end computer, I understand its alot of headaches.

But with main topic. Why doesn't mastercam support a mac. I know its dif programming language, But from what I understand it is a far superior product and wouldn't you want to use the best?

quote:

Gibbscam has support for Macs...hahaha! Silly Gibbs

kinda moot.

Gibbs was developed on/for the mac. I ran it on an old Mac SE30 back in the day.

But back on topic, now that OSX is running on the intel chipset, the port may (key word here being may) not be that difficult. It was a major undertaking when the OS was on a power PC chip. That's what allows Bootcamp and other things to work with windows. No need to emulate CPU and memory address mappings.

next Mac I buy WILL be running MasterCAM. I have spoken to a few running MasterCAM so it can be done however..... for the time being,there will still be support issues as stated above. Maybe not a good Idea for your only box just yet. It'll take time but They WILL come around and crossover to the darkside cool.gif

after all, it's just better. OSX is Unix based just as Linux is. IMHO, either one would be MUCH better than anything Microshaft comes up with. Mac and linux users are on the rise. cheers.gif

Do a search, there should be a thread or two around.

quote:

Mac and linux users are on the rise. [Cheers]

i run my home pc on ubuntu (linux) and it's like 2x faster than XP

but open source program need a special attention when you got to install/uninstall pakages

and you got no spam,popups,virus and all other crapp design to ruin micro"SOSO"soft software

and on last generations of mac u can install vista wink.gif

There are/were 4 major softwares allowing Windows or windows apps to run on macs. This is an article from the beginning of the year that describes them and their support/features. Obviously they have all been improved with several updates by now. By these #'s I'd say Bootcamp or VMware Fusion would be the best choice however they may all be much closer in specs by now.

http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/features/w...intro/index.php

You can even run Windows 3.1!!! (The only version of Windows my wife liked. lol)