Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone out there peck tapping??

We use peck tapping on some of our Mazaks usually on deeper holes.

Prior to peck tapping on deeper holes, we would just start the tap and finish them by hand as to avoid breaking the taps. It allows the chips to break and evacuate out of the hole to lessen the torsional load on the tap.

I agree with the roll forming, I worked at a job shop where we did a lot of s.s. and we roll formed everything, especially blind holes.

Where I'm at now does mostly S.S. but the old machines don't even have rigid tap wheras or new Kurakis all do.

According to the manual the dwell occurs at both the bottom of the hole and at the R-level. I assume you could put a 15 second dwell to let you blow chips out and lubricate the tap or whatnot. I can see this as a plus.

Thanks, my operators who aren't green by any standard were questioning the need for it.

Thanks for the input!

Scott

I found peck tapping worked well for some applications that I had. I used to work on a vertical with crap for hp. I would peck tap our bigger taps (like 1.75") that would normally stall the spindle. In this case it was a little learning where the stall point vs. depth was so I could make the programming adjustments to the tap.

Brett,

Seems like the post will always output a Q even if you don't want to peck tap. How do you change it to NOT outout if Q=0 ? Our Fanuc 16i-M will tap with a Q0, I just tried it so this is not critical.

Also, ours has a dwell as well, it will dwell at the bottom of the tap motion and at the R-level.

How do you add a dwell in a cycle?

Thanks,

Scott

• 1 year later...