Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tips anyone?

88Matt

We are a tool & die / R&D dept here. 99% of our stuff is one to a handful of parts; everything is different.

I am helping someone out that is doing a large lot of parts that are all similar. same two machines and same tooling.

I know some of you deal with this all the time. What tips or tricks do you use to standardize and reduce your programming time?

Obviously I have dedicated tool libraries set up. It's all 6061. I have some ideas I would like to try but wanted to get your alls advise first.

Thanks

i set all my default toolpath to the one i mainly use , like ramp in-out , wear ,coolant. blah blah blah.....

set my tool default speed to , in your case 6061-t6, the material i mainly work with

and imports operations from a similar part, you just had to set the curves and points to do the job

thats it wink.gif

I will be milling the back side of the parts with dovetails added for the second op on a 3 axis VMC.

I thought about using a "templet file" with the dovetail geo in it along with the machines, ops, tool library. already in it. Then I could just merge in the part and go.

What do y'all think?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

... thought about using a "templet file" with the dovetail geo in it along with the machines, ops, tool library. already in it. Then I could just merge in the part and go.

What do y'all think?

Whenever I I have a "family of parts" situation I basically create the template on the first job. it's just a matter of re-chaining. I also use a VB script to keep levels consistent. Say your first part takes 8 hours to program, there's a good chance your second one will take only 50-25% of that or less depending on the complexity of course.

Matt,

I use "template" files all the time. You will want to merge in your template though, not merge your part into the template. If you bring your part into the template, you might forget to do a Save As and you might over write the original template file by mistake. It is much better to open your part file (123A4567-8) and do a File - Merge/Pattern and bring in your template.

You can also import toolpath operations directly out of an MCX file, into your new part. Just right click in the ops manager, select import, and select an MCX file.

Yes you can. Go into your operation default and set the tool you want to load for that operation. If you set the speed and feeds as well as everything in the operation everytime you use the operation it will be the same everytime. I have gone as far as having 6061 operation default, 7075 operation default, 4130 annealed, and 4130 harden. You can even go as far as having one for each machine really depends on how much time you want to put into it. I quit doing it when X came out. I keep waiting for it to normal out and I will go back to that practice.

quote:

Whenever I I have a "family of parts" situation I basically create the template on the first job. it's just a matter of re-chaining. I also use a VB script to keep levels consistent.

Could you offer a description of this concept. I have been running into issues with merging files and crossing levels - it can get messy!

Would you be willing to share the script?

Also is there a way to default to a template when opening a fresh drawing?

Looking forward to streamlining the process!

program your first part finished. Start your second part and then "import" your ops from the previous job. you will then just need to apply your new geometry to the ops (rechain). If you have your tool page defaults correctly all of the tools will stay the same numbers with same offsets.

Thanks for the tip guys. It sounds like I'm going about it the right way. prodrill may be an option on down the road; just not right now.

quote:

I also use a VB script to keep levels consistent.

James,

Could u please expand on how u implemented this? I am dealing with iges files coming in and the levels manager is ugly. 50 level of stuff with no labels.

Thanks everyone!!!

cheers.gif

Another way to do it is to start a contour toolpath (for example). When the toolpath parameters page comes up, right click in the white tool select area, and select import from there. If you choose a default folder (file) from there, then all ops will be created with the chain already chosen.

I have also used change recognition for this with great success. Be careful though, as you have to do a save as first to the new name.