Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The use of .STL files

Michael Sullivan

quote:

I am just curious as to why you would save stl files for each op?

I do it that way also because that way you don't have to verify the entire part everytime you want to verify the operation you just made. I know there is the fast forward button but even with the button some operations take more then 30 min. to verify. I just want to save some time by saving an STL after each operation.

Hope this makes sense.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was with toolman184, but after reading this I am going to have to learn how to use the stl files. I tried once but the stl didn't look anything like it was supposed to when I brought it back up. So I haven't tried it since. What is the proper way to save these, and how do you use them if it needs to be rotated for other ops?

Bruce,

Solids is not needed,I don't have the solids module and it works fine.

1)Choose the reverse tab.

2) hit the top left button "open or import point cloud data file"

3)choose your stl file. Now Your file should now be overlayed on your model in the graphics view and listed in the reverse tab of the Op manager.

(Reverse tab in the Op manager)

You can now click the top right button "draw settings" and change your shade/settings color etc.

If you highlight the file in the op. manager, Right click then you can choose the different functions ex.Xform,filter etc.

Mike,

Please excuse me if I'm a little dense this morning, but I'm having difficulty seeing how this adds any benefit. When I verify, apparently MC is using the file that is defined in stock setup. Manipulating the imported point cloud doesn't seem to influence the stl that is being used for the verify process, but merely adds another instance of the stl model. Is there a way to get MC to use the imported point cloud for the verification process and then save a new instance. My particular project is a relatively complicated part that machines the top and bottom of an alum billet in 3 different orientations. I had done my original programming manipulating the WCS, however I have been unable to verify the part as I can't seem to get MC to verify from the "bottom" view. I am hoping that the Verisurf add-on would allow me to create .stl files verifying each step of the way, which requires bouncing back and forth between various top and bottom views of the model.

Bruce,

Verisurf can manage multiple stl files in the reverse tab. After you import the point cloud you can copy it. Then, manipulate the copy and save it as whatever name you want. (right click on the file in the reverse tab and select exportto file).After this file is saved in the location you choose you can just link it to your stock setup and use it for verify. as far as flipping back between views, do you mean in one verify session or separately?

I usually keep all of my operations in separate files to keep them neat and also to avoid the inevitable stock setup mess.

If your programs are in separate files you can :

1)verify the first op

2) save stl from verify

3)import the stl into the next op file

4) manipulate and save it through Verisurf Reverse

5) link it to your stock setup/verify

Then repeat for all operations.

If you have all your ops in one program you can have all your stl files there too and named appropriately but you will have to re-associate the stock each time you switch ops.

Mastercam will also let you x-form stl however, I feel it's pretty awkward compared to the verisurf version and verisurf offers other functions like filtering for large files as well as a good view of stock in the graphics window. What I never liked about the stock setup stl viewer is the stl disappears as soon as you go into backplot. The Verisurf stl remains so you can see when the cutter contacts your material.

I have not used all the features but, I'm impressed so far.I'm sure there is a lot I don't know about yet.

JM2C

I hope I answered your questions. If not maybe Ernie will jump in.

-Mike

• 2 months later...

I just installed two different versions of the verisurf utility, and I keep getting errors upon start up of MC.

error report dialog

ex. unable to open resource module...

paraboloid.dll, reverse.dll, and surface patch.dll

any ideas?