Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam testing

YoDoug®

Hello guys, I am looking for help and suggestions.

We are in need of a high level programmer at our production facility. This candidate needs to be able to not only program VMC, HMC, multi axis, turning centers, CNC swiss types, Wire Edm, but also must be able to do MCX configuration (post/mach/control def development, etc.).

I have been charged with the task of creating a test for prospective candidates. the test should have three sections or skill level assessment parts. The first should be basic MCX, second needs to be complex programming, the third needs to assess software configuring skills.

That is where I am asking for ideas. I need to assess one's abilities to set-up a new machine for MCX. Machine and control defs, post tweaks, the whole nine yards.

• Sad 1

Basic would be give a drawing and have them make it Mastercam. The part should have lathe work and mill work. Have them do both in one file in X. IF you have solids could have them make the solid. For advanced could give them a mill/turn part with 5 axis or could give them a 5 axis part and have them do some basic 3+2 then you can have them do some full 5 axis using old school and the new 5 axis toolpaths. Can have them do some highspeed toolpaths. Then have them create a new machine with their Name. Then have them modify the post to add a header like so.

quote:

( CUSTOMER - GOODRICH LANDING)

( PART # - 65B01356-7 REV - C)

( PROGRAM - A65260.NC)

( DATE - DEC-19-2007)

( TIME - 1:55 PM )

( PROGRAMMER - RONNIE B )

This header comes out on every machine we have here the customer is controlled using a mr and the part number comes from the Machine group in the Operations Manager.

That should be a good judge of what one's capabilities are. Might talk to the guys at CNC and get the company to spring the $500.00 for the Certification if a really good candidate.

How long do you expect this test to take? Sounds like something that would take at least a couple of days to do right. Are you going to pay these perspective candidates for their testing time or are you going to hire them and give them a trial period of a couple days? Personally, I would skip the basic MCX programming. If a guy can program VMCs, HMCs, 5 axis, and do Posts, he better be able to machine a pocket and drill some holes.

I would give the candidate a fairly complex pocket (swarf 5 axis maybe) but not an entire part, A machine control manual, some sample G code, and a requirement that they use a prompt question for something and a misc. integer to control something (like a pallet check, ect.) and have them create a toolpath, customize a post, and output the Gcode.

Shouldn't you be able to tell who you are hiring just by looking at their resume? I hope you are willing to pay top dollar.

• Sad 1

Colin

This position is in Shanghai China. The labors laws in China make it very difficult to do a trial hire. For an American company to fire a Chinese High level employee can sometimes cost one to two years salary. Because China's economy is growing so fast there is a lack of skilled workers. Many people have been promoted beyond their ability because there is simply no on else available. That is why we need such extensive testing. We are willing to pay top dollar for this person. If we find the right person it means I won't have to go to China 3-4 times a year the next couple of years.

Just like in America there are many who can "talk the talk" but can they perform.

quote:

How bout bring the work back over here and your problem is solved.

I wish they would. Our need for Chinese manufacturing is assembly driven. Our factory does small run (500-5000) builds of high end fishing reels. There are too many small parts to automate assembly and American labor is too costly to compete with our foreign competitors (Shimano, Diawa, Okuma, Etc.).

We are not looking to relocate an American to China. We hope to find a Chinese/Taiwanese/Japanese manufacturing engineer to fit the position.

In the area we are located someone of the skill set described above could earn between 10,000-20,000RMB/month ($1300-2600US dollar). A company that is willing to relocate an American would probably pay at least double.

Sounds like a tall order...something that would take a couple of days to test someone.

Take a print, have them model it up & program using proper speeds & feeds...that will tell you alot right there. Take a "stock" MPFAN post & have them add things like adding the correct thru-coolant codes to it, I like the idea of adding prompts also. Doing something with canned text would be good also. Maybe even have them add rigid tapping (don't think the MPFAN has it).

Sounds like you are looking for a pretty experienced Chinaman

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah, that person would be a tall order here right now and would definitely command at least $75-$80k in the states.

I'd make them do the test on their time. If they say no, then they don't want the job that bad. I once spent the equivalent of a couple days interviewing for a job. It had several tests, etc... I WANTED the job. It was worth the time and effort. It was a good job untl they closed the plant. frown.gif