Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Bored jaws running out

DavidB

On our new machine we can not get bored soft jaws to run any better than .0015".

We have tried everything even a new chuck (4.5k later).

We have tried different chuck pressures and we use a bung in the back with the jaws closed when we are boring them.

At the moment I'm confused.gif

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you checked the mounting ring on the spindle and seen if it is running true?? If the spindle liner got warped, or the bearings are shot on the spindle no matter what you do new jaws, new chuck you will still get the out of round condition. I would start investigating spindle, and mounting conditions at this point.

HTH

Even if the chuck itself was running out you should still get considerably better results than you're seeing. It sounds like you are doing everything right; how are you confirming that the jaws run out that far? If you're gripped on a solid piece that you know is round and you're still seeing that much indicator movement with a new chuck you may have a spindle problem, as Ron said. If I couldn't get better than .0005" on a newly bored set of jaws I'd be in serious trouble; sounds like you are, too.

“I think its bearings but the machine is only 14 months old?”

I had a mill once that was only 6 months old but every part that came off it was out of tolerance; especially any thing curved. No one believed that it was the machine, until it happened to the owner one day. Mori came by and said it was a faulty bearing and fixed the thing for free but it does happen even on new machines.

I bought a new manual lathe when I started my shop and after one year it was turning out of round .001 in. I adjusted the tapered roller bearings on the spindle and it has been perfect ever since. just my experiance. Saw this at shops I had worked at (chatter and out of round at another) and co-workers said lathes were junk...they needed a one hour tune-up..

We just had the smae problem, but it was on a 15 year old Ikegai, with a 15 year old chuck. Replaced the chuck and all is well. We do believe that the bearing spindles are soon to follow. You can definitely hear the difference now. If you have 2 of the same machine, you might want to compare how they sound when running at the smae RPM.

• 1 month later...
Guest SAIPEM

Ben,

The orientation of the spindle axis is controlled by address B.

Problems with the B-Axis rotation & indexing can cause the problems Dave is having.