Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cheap material

powerstechteacher

Hey Steve,

Glad you found the forum okay. These guys have ideas and answers for anything.

A local source for MDF is Curbell plastics. Maybe you could call one of the salesmen and see what he can do for you. Perhaps he can direct you to one of his customer who use allot of material and may have scraps and drops to donate.

Another idea is to use 2x4's. You can get an 8' board for $2.50 and section it up into smaller lengths for cheep practice pieces.

Side Note: Steve is the one of the tech teachers at our local high school. The school bought a new Dynapath mill and lathe two years ago. The instructor who was originally trained to run the equipment is no longer with the school. Now Steve is in charge of the program and is getting up to speed. Optipro has him set up with a seat of Mastercam. The school has a real nice shop and a pretty impressive computer lab. Its an excellent resource for the kids in our community.

Small beginner projects could be cut in wood, especially if you keep the grain vertical and walls thick. Hard types of wood might machine better than pine and still be cheaper and safer than aluminum. Wood might even be good to varnish and be pretty. Have the kids start with a chunk of old hedge fence post or piece of maple firewood, look for twisted grain or crotches. I have made test pieces with the foam insulation from the lumber store, pink is OK, blue works better.

I can help you with some free sink cut outs now(Plastic laminate such as Formica on 3/4" flake board)or some off cuts of MDF in the next week or two.

I am also in Rochester NY.

My email is [email protected]

I got Router 1 and Art about 2 months ago, and have been lurking on this forum since.

This forum is a great source and thanks to the people who have put their time into it.