Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using G41 & G42 Cutter Comp in lathe Programs

JerryBenoit

I am a new user with MasterCam. I switch from using Gibbs, my main complaint with them was only one or two choices to do anything. If you recall Gibbs pride and slogan is “Powerful Simple, Simply Powerful”. Well I am not trying to bash Gibbs, but I fell in love with MasterCam ability to change with whatever flavor I decide to use with or without Cutter Comp (G41 or G42). My reseller has been great to work with and has been right there to support me.

However I have found that the lathe Package is limited in its use of G41 and G42 specially with Control Comp.

I have over 20yrs on Lathe mostly. In that time only 1 shop that I worked in used control comp and they did their programming on line at the machine.

So my question is how many of you, using MasterCam use Control Comp in your lathe, or do you stay clear of this?

quote:

do you stay clear of this

yes ..

I use "computer comp" only in lathe programs.

I have one contract customer who insists

on G41/G42 comp for his Okumas, but I am slowly

breaking him of the habit biggrin.gif

Actually its his setup guys breaking him of the habit... G41 + bad TNR definiton on the offset page = scrapped parts... mad.gif

TNR comp sucks and is just a death sentence if you don't have a pre-setter; computer comp only for us

gcode, you can force the TNR values into the control for your Okuma customer if you want; just write to their TNR register at the top of your programs. I do that for X and Z offsets but don't do radius here because we don't use it; I know that you can, however

I don't do anything fancy for my Okuma customer.

He does 95% of his programming at the machine.

Occasionally he'll get a math problem he can't solve and I'll give him a control comped finish pass and he'll take it from there.

I haven't used comp in my Lathe Programs. I operate a SL20 (Haas), when the Applications guy was setting up the lathe here last year, He was explaining the wear features: Tool Radius and taper comp. I haven't used these features either. Only because I'm a hard headed Mexican with a fear of learning new things. banghead.gif

I like the idea of some of these features. They give a lot of control to the operator at the machine. I have'nt messed around with it! biggrin.gif

I haven't used comp in my Lathe Programs. I operate a SL20 (Haas), when the Applications guy was setting up the lathe here last year, He was explaining the wear features: Tool Radius and taper comp. I haven't used these features either. Only because I'm a hard headed Mexican with a fear of learning new things. banghead.gif

I like the idea of some of these features. They give a lot of control to the operator at the machine. I have'nt messed around with it! biggrin.gif

control comp here, so if we do not have the programmed insert radius we do not have to reprogram, operator changes insert and tnr at the machine and every thing is ok. also makes it easier to trouble shoot and read the the program because MC posts the actual part dimensions out with control comp