Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Does anyone know when Cutter Comp came to be?

JerryBenoit

Hello to all and thank you to those that have responded to my cutter compensation question on the lathe.

Does anyone know when the machines started having the G41 and G42 options? I was under the impression that this can into play as soon as CNC took over the NC machines. Is this so and what time frame did this come about?

I have been on CNC at the start of my career back in “85” the oldest machines that I have ran was a Cincinnati Milacron (Tape NC machine) and a Warner Swasey Lathe (Tape NC convert CNC). The oldest CNC Machine was a Mori SL-4 with a 6T control which had the option.

I worked in a shop with Paul (mcprogrammer) that used G41 for right hand and G42 for left hand comp?

That took some getting used to.

After a series of WTF's on my part, I was informed that that's how it's always been done here. curse.gif

I am curious if someone comes up with the history of cutter comp, they might also know if there was no "standard" for left and right hand in the early days... or if these guys were just bass ackwards (a very real possibility) wink.gif .

quote:

if there was no "standard" for left and right hand in the early days... or if these guys were just bass ackwards

I don't know if the were backasswards or not but....

cutter comp looks down the spindle axis from the postive side looking in the negative direction.

If you have a right angle head on a vertical mill

pointing a 3 or 12 Oclock cutter comp will be backwards from what you are accustommed to,

If the same head is pointing at 9 or 6oclock it will be normal ( G41 =left/ climb, g42= right/conventional)

I have a book called CNC Programming Handbook.

There is a section about cutter comp in the book called History of offset types. It relates to fanuc controls. It doesn't give a time table but explains three types of cutter comp.

Type A The least flexible- One column and the tool length offset and tool radius offset share the same column.

Type B Two columns One for wear and one for geometry. Type B is still a shared type of offset for tool length and tool radius

Type C Seperates the tool length offset values from the tool radius offset values and keeps the distinction for geometry offset and wear offset.

If you call Fanuc they could probably tell you the exact dates.

Early 70's NC (not CNC) equipment had a mostly functioning G41/G42 mode on a Olivetti machine.

Early Bridgeport NC machines also had it.

Earliest definition I remember is from the 1969 Olivetti MUT800CNZ control - no circular g2/g3 but it had tool wear compenstation limited to +/- .032" (entered by dedicated thumwheel switches for each tool on the control).

The Bridgeport C4 stand-alone add-on control for the Series II NC also used g41/g42 in early to mid 70's.

It isn't a new thing.

in the beginning the machines were void of cutter comp. then the big toolmaker in the sky said "let there be comp."and the comp was divided from right to left. then given to man he changed the comp to wear and no comp.and after scrapping all of his parts the man invented boat anchors and then rested. biggrin.gif