Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 MR2 SP1

Testpilot4.0

Do a file "save as" and save you file as a different name.

Now replace the machine definition, that should stop that problem, then save as the original file name.

What has likely happened is your machine definition in the file has gone corrupt.

This seems to happen to me when I am referencing solids in my toolpaths and I have many machine groups. The worst time it ever did it was when I had several Mastercam solids and I was also using them in ops like HST etc. After trying everything else, I deleted the Solid History and Created Surfaces. I then cut Surfaces instead of Solids and it immediatly went away. This is just like the old "op go dirty issue" except now it crashes instead of the ops going dirty. Next time, I will try as John said. Thanks John.

Mike

Thanks for the info JParis. Hmmm. headscratch.gif When I asked this in an e-mail to Steve the other day he never mentioned this little tidbit. What happened the other day when you visited the shop? Didn't want to say "hi"? Or you were just interested in talkin' with your buddies Jeff and Randy. Would've been nice to get some Mcam support from a representative of our reseller. wink.gifbiggrin.gif Or was it an "unofficial" visit? eek.gif J/K

Last week I was verifying a very large

(80 x 60 x 50 with 200+ operations)

and Verify crashed.

After that Mastercam would hang then crash every time I clicked on Parameters in a toolpath operation.

I tried Install/repair then a complete uninstall

repair but it didn't help.

After screwing around for half a day, I tried changing to the Default machine and the problem was gone.

As John P mentioned in a previous post, the internal copy of my machine definion had been corrupted by the Verify crash.

I regened with the generic machine, then changed back to my real machine and the problem was solved.

quote:

do I default all of them to fix this problem?

Since you likely may not know which, if, one of went corrupt, I would say you'd be better off trying them all.

Peter

quote:

Or was it an "unofficial" visit?

Yup just an "unofficial" stop by, I was on my way down 93 from Bow, NH, it was lunch time so I thought I would stop by and shoot the sh*t with whomever was outside.

Randy, Brian, Tom, Scott, Joe, David, Karl, Jeff and a few others.

My "one year anniversary" of being out of there passed a week or so ago as someone called to remind me wink.gif

Certain individuals seem to harbor some bad feelings, why I am not "quite" sure, I left on 3 weeks notice and did a lot to help out after I left. We had a difference of opinion, I took my feelings and opinions and relocated. So I don't know how my reception would be in an unofficial capacity.

quote:

I had made a thread about a verify/simulation crashing, is this the same?

Robert this is quite likely NOT the same problem

I thought you were having trouble clicking on parameters and crashing

Well, I tried it anyway and i got to 87% complete instead of the 47% that i was getting before i tried it. i was a shot. It's just a pain cuz i'm doing a toolpaths that are at sizes 6140.0 k rough to 57420.0 k finish in size. and for me to check the toolpath i have to post which takes about 15 to 20 mins then go to predator and set that up and run it and see what i get. For me to check a toolpath it takes a good 2 hour task then make some tweeks and then do it all over again. It's just a day killer to do a couple of toolpaths now.

Robert,

After thinking about it some more. I do remember having this issue but it was several years /versions ago. I vaugely remember what I did. It was one of the ops that was causing it. Verify portions and you may find the op causing the issue. IE: Verify ops 1-20, if that is good do 1-50 and so on. You will then zero in on the paticular op. At this point you may be able to fix/recreate as needed.

Mike

Mike,

my toolpaths are pretty big so what i do, is the usual save a stl after each toolpath op and bring it up the last slt saved then run the next toolpath op and so on. On my finish toolpath is were it started to crash. I tried different toolpath and it still crashes, so to remove the stl varible and just try it with a box to verify with the same results.

Robert/Michael,

The verify crashes you are experiencing are likely due to problems in the STL file, and the way that the Lightworks module is handling them. Lightworks is the 3rd party developer that CNC Software licenses their verify technology from. The problem is that you are continuing to re-use STL files and then machine them again. As you continue to do this, the size and complexity of the STL file will grow. At a certain point, either the verify module runs into a problem with intersecting triangles, overlapping triangles, or just plain runs out of memory. Here is a thread from the vericut forum where Bill Hasenjaeger describes what an STL file is. This is great reading for everyone who uses Verify in any capacity.

STL file description, read the whole thread

So an STL file is just a collection of triangles. At some point windows just can't keep up.

You should consider getting a 64 bit computer with XP PRO 64 bit version. XP64 can address up to 16 TB of memory, 32 bit XP can only address up to 3 GB, and that is only after you turn on the /3GB boot switch.

So basically you can only address 2 GB of RAM on a 32 bit machine unless you know some tricks.

A 64 bit machine can handle an obsene amount of memory, up to 16 TERABYTES (1000 GB) of memory.

So if you had 8-16 GB of memory, Verify could handle pretty much anything you could throw at it.