Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mazak Question

cajahawa

quote:

The machine we have locks whenever we're in automatic operation

Can you force a tool change between operations of the same tool, use M00/M01 to stop it at this point to check the tool and restart it?

That would be the safest way to accomplish this.

Mark, I will put an M01 between operations to check the tool. That does work nice. What I'd like to do is when it rapids up to stop it then. In the middle of an operation. I know I can add an M01 in the post before I send it to the machine. But it's kind of a pain. Thanks.

Ocean Lacky, I'll give that a try tomorrow thanks.

Not sure about mazak here and if this will work in "tape", but try single block when it rapids above the part, switch mode to manual, stop the spindle, open the door, check the tool, close the door, restart the spindle, switch back to auto and press start cycle.

Works on fanuc wink.gif

We have changed a machine parameter that allows us to run machine at 25% max rapid, but when you close the door during auto cycle it won't let you open until the spindle stops.

hth

Theres a check box on the Tool Parameters page to force a tool change between consecutive ops usig the same tool. M01 will stop here. There's also a Tool Inspection/ Change feature enabled by checkbox right under your tool list on the parameters page which will rapid up every so many minutes/inches. I havent figured out how to stop it automatically. so it just rapids back down and continues. Probably something in the post that needs to be configured.

Your Mazak most likely uses Euchner TP Safety Switch . Reverse engineer and make a new actuator out of a piece of aluminum (15 minute job). Just don't slam the doors shut all the way.

Having one of those actuators is a necessity IMO... Maybe not for somebody that is just a button pusher, but for somebody running a complicated 5 axis machine it sure is good to be able to see what is going on inside.

For example; if you're using tool tip programming the Mazak will not let you open the door in the middle of the cycle without the actuator being inserted into the solenoid (unless there is another way that I am unaware of) If you do so, then you have to start the cycle from the beginning. Yet you could stop in the middle of a cycle and open the door if you're using dynamic offset programming and/or basic work offset programming headscratch.gif .

I am not saying to make a key and run your programs with the door open @ all times, but sometimes you really need to see what is going on. No lawsuits please.

I have never seen a shop in my area, that keeps the door interlocks on. I assumed that is the norm?

Doing tricky set-ups and working in deep cavities is almost impossible sometimes without seeing inside. We do alot of small runs and new parts, which makes it hard.

quote:

I have never seen a shop in my area, that keeps the door interlocks on. I assumed that is the norm?

Not in the states, especially CA. Most people still do it, but in this litiguous society, it's not recommended anymore. I have finally got in the habit of praying....alot!!! LOL! Especially with our 4 axis and lathe programs (nothing like arbitrary rapids to get to the other side of the part just to rotate). I started at a time when there were no guards, so it's always been hard for me to not be able to look at all angles when I want to.

On our Mazaks, all we do is hit a manual button. The program stops at that point and you can unlock and open the doors. Can't move the machine, but at least you can clear chips, etc. We are running EIA programs on a Nexxus 640T, Lathes and Mills. To restart, just hit the memory button and then cycle start. Spindle starts back up coolant, etc and starts wehre it left at.

I have a small round steel shim that I have superglued over the optical sensors on the VTCs in my shop. When I need to change inserts in a cutter, I will just mark the stopping point in the program and do a midfile restsart with Cimco.

If all I want to do is check the inserts I'll hit feed hold anywhere above the workpiece and push the Home 1 key. The problem is getting the spindle to orient and pulling the tool out of the machine and the restarting when in tape mode without using the Cimco restart.

quote:

On our Mazaks, all we do is hit a manual button. The program stops at that point and you can unlock and open the doors. Can't move the machine, but at least you can clear chips, etc.

Not when using tool tip programming (G43.4)... @ least not with the Matrix control.

When a company I use to work for bought there first Mazak the setup tech from Mazak took me over to the main power cabinet and told me I'm not telling you how but! handed me the electrical manual opened to the page with the door lock and pointed to the number corresponding to it then pointed in the cabinet.

So unpluged it and He said you figured that one out pretty quick.

So I have to say I thought everybody unpluged the door safty switches. I run to Fadal now that both are disconnected on.

Oh yea I'm not implying you should go look at the electrical connection manual I don't want to be sued either.

Hey Guys, I used Mark Banaszek, and Ocean Lackys advise. I just hit Cycle Stop, Single Block, then hit rapid or home, then you can open the door. I broke a cutter yesterday right before the end of the day because I couldn't see that it was getting dull. Now I'll be able to stop the machine when I want to check it out. I think it's kind of stupid to force the doors to lock. But there's always some idiot getting there arm tore off, and it's the machine maker's fault. Kinda what MultiAxGod said. Thanks for all the advise. Wayne