Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Downloading

Paul Felger

Hey all, I have a freind with a small shop, he has a Haas mill and Haas lathe, it is just him and one other guy and they hand write programs and type them in. I can program one of his parts through email at my work with MCX2, but at this point how could he download it though email with out typeing it in? I do have permision to do this with my employer, but was just wondering if there was a inexpensive software out there that he could use to just send it to his mach. using a RS232 cable from his email?

Thanks

You just hit the nail on the head for the worst problem with contract programming. Who is the responsible party? I've done contract work in the past and it is hit and miss when it comes to finding an ideal arrangement. You need to pay extra attention to creating some good setup documents, a good tool list, and creating a good relationship with the guy who is setting up and running your code.

It still sounds safer that typing it in, I have done two or three hundred lines before and I still found a wreck or two just from a type-O. But I was the one to run it and found it fine.

I see your point.. I am also concerned about anyone making a wrong edit and I get blamed.

I know a few small shops around me and thought a little extra change would be nice. Any other comments or anyone doing this type of thing I would love to hear.

I'm not sure about Haas, but I've seen advertised for fadals a stand alone base that plugs into the rs232 that has a usb slot. just save the file to your usb and then place it in the unit and it sends. Sounds pretty easy....though I never seen one in person.....

I have friends that own a machine shop and I write program for them all the time. I attach the .nc file to the email and he saves it on his laptop and then connects to the machine through the RS232 port and loads the program, I can't remember what software he is using to send to the machine though. Some of his machines have slots that you can put a compact flash adapter in and then use a compact flash card and transfer the program from the card to the machine. You would still need a way to get the file from the PC he gets his email on to the card.

HTH