Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.nci definition

Ditchpanther

Hi,

I am trying to find out the definition of variables insidee the .nci file. Under 5 axis move, there are 12 variables. I understand what all are but the u, v, and w variables. I also need to know what their coorelation to x, y, and z are.If anyone could lend their expertise, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ditch

Ditch,

Which toolpath are you using to output that particular section of NCI code? Different toolpaths output different parameters.

NCI code is always parsed in two line sets. The first line (referred to as the "gcode" line) tells the post how to interperet the next line of variables.

For example, gcode 81 specifies a drill cycle, and there are always 19 parameters that follow.

You were asking about UVW coordinates.

Parameters 15, 16, and 17 are the UVW parameters and they specify the initial XYZ coordinate of the drill operation.

I do not believe that any plane orientation is included in the drilling Gcode line though.

The 19 parameters are formatted differently if you are doing 3 axis drilling or 5 axis drilling. The important thing though is that there are other parameter lines in the NCI file that control the rotation and orientation of your operation in 3 dimensional space.

I guess we need some more information from you as to what you want to do with the information you are reading from the NCI file. If all you are after is a broader understanding of how the NCI/Post processor work together, then get a copy of the V9 post reference guide from your Mastercam reseller. This includes a wealth of information on how the entire post processor works, and it gives you a list of all the NCI gcodes and their associated parameters.

HTH,

I am running a Mori NZ. When the NC is derived by the post, only x,y, and z are shown. I am doing a simple morphing using 5-axis. I was wondering what the U,V, and W are based on the XYZ that the post outputs. The information I have is from the V9 reference guide. The page that I have found the information on is the Mill G11 page with 12 variables. This information is to help me better understand the post processor because I will need to modify it in the future.

Thanks again

Ditch

• 12 years later...