Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterWorks Forum

fistafury17

quote:

I'd like to hear what people would expect it to do

Thanks for the interest. One the possibilities I envision for the software is the ability to program a set of electrodes in a fixture. I see loading electrodes into an existing assembly using "replace components" and repeating this process using different configurations with unique toolpaths for new electrodes in the same assembly file. Because of the references created in Solidworks, any changes made to the cavity geometry would be red flagged and require a regen. In assembly with configs all of the trodes would be updated simultaneously.

Thanks, Steve

The ME dept at my company uses solidworks exclusively, we have about 25 seats. So MCAM integrating with solidworks would be great. One issue is the hole wizard. Would mastercam be able to automatically spot/drill/ tap the holes based on the hole wizard info? It would be great if it could read the info spot all of the various holes, then drill all the holes, and then tap. It would be a huge time saver. Also having the flexibility of the 2d ops would be great.

quote:

Would mastercam be able to automatically spot/drill/ tap the holes based on the hole wizard info?

The Griffo Bros. Geosolid for Mazaks does this.

This is what I use to program all 2D toolpaths right now.

I'm sure the Mastercam will employ some sort of feature recognition when the developers address 2D toolpath creation.

• 1 month later...

I installed an HSMWorks demo last week snd have really been impressed. My biggest complaint is the inability to convert my Mastercam tool libraries into a HSMWorks tool libraries. Other than that, I find the programming to be very simple and intuitive. If Mastercam doesn't get their software developed quickly, I will be moving to HSMWorks.

IMO Mastercam is about 3 years late showing up for this party so they have some serious

catching up to do.

HMSWorks was impressive when I checked it out last year. They put out a new service pack

every 4 to 6 weeks so I'm sure its even better now.

There is tough competition out there in this field. Hypermill for SolidWorks, CamWorks,

SolidCam, and SolidEdge/Express Cam all have

a huge headstart. IMO it will be several years

before CNC Software is a serious contender in this field.

in all fbm it is quick, but many times it is not the best toolpath, all packages have their advantages and disadvantages, overall it is how well you work with the package you have, I went to an advanced multiaxis class yesterday and I was impressed with the things I didn't know mcam could do. It was easier to develope a plunge cut pass in the advanced multi toolpath and limit it to 3 axis I never thought of using it that way. I think it also depends on the type of machine(s) you are programming for and what you need from it.

• 1 month later...

I got a look at the Mastercam/Solidworks imbedded software today and I have to say it is probably a year or so away from being as capable as the HSMWorks software I've been using. The HSMWorks product isn't completely developed either as I can blow up files fairly easily through configs.

Stay tuned eek.gif