Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verifying Tool Paths with Vericut?

JerryBenoit

Hello to All,

I am in the process of programming a job that the Owner and the floor Supervisor want posted with CONTROL Compensation on a Mill Turn. I am having a lot of difficulty proving out each path because the lathe operations don’t handle that.

banghead.gif I am STRONGLY convinced that Computer or Wear comp is the way we should go. This would be easier for the guys on the floor and I can prove my paths out with confidents.

How does Vericut work in those settings?

Well them I think they need ot get a reality check. If they want you to take responsibility for the program let you do it in a way that you wan control. Tell them to go spend well over $20k for Vericut so they can have Control on the machine or take 100% of the responsibility for loss production, crashes and other problems because they are stuck in the stone age!!!!

BTW I program out Integrex and never use Control Period and if asked too I have enough respect from my owner to do what I think is best and makes the company the most money.

HTH

I agree...kinda silly IMO.

In ref to Vericut...

I have never used it before but I THINK if you go into your tool list in Vericut, you can add cutter compensation. In this case the full radius of the tool I would imagine. I assume your Word addresses in the control def would have to be set up properly as well to load the comp.

Let me know if if works out. Now I am curious.

headscratch.gif

Why do they want contol comp? Are they using different tools than you programmed for? If so, then you will never know for sure that your program will work no matter what you use to verify it.

I would have the same confidence in my programs whether I used wear or control comp. MasterCam will verify both the same and then you have to trust MC and your post to put out the right code.

I worked at a shop that would use that type of comp. I tried to get them to convert but no go. They had hundreds of old programs that could not be changed. This stupid method, cost me several parts being scrapped. The machinist on the floor would "defend" this method stating it is the best way to do it, but they too scrapped many parts from entering the wrong comp amounts.

I had to write a Macro and install it into my post so the control could "check" for the proper comp value input into the control. What a stupid thing, I am still frustrated by this......

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I HATE control comp! I had to use it today on a sample program part for a customer. They use regrinds so they feel they are handcuffed into using it. Needless to say me edge break actually ended up being a feature biggrin.gif because somewhere, somehow something in Mastercam didn't get comped right. headscratch.gif Computer and wear is FAR superior.

Thanks Guys,

I agree, however the owner is the one really driving this. He wants the endless hours to stop at proving out the programs. We have 14 soon 15 lathes here with two full time programers. When I was hired they wanted me to follow the Sr lathe programer format. He is really good however he drafts & trigs everything (this is with comp in the program) then types the code in by hand. You all know what can happen.

I was asked then to get a cam package up. I tried using Gibbs but they only have two ways to do any thing. I then asked to switch Mastercam right after that is when the push started with Cutter Comp.

So I would like to anyone here that uses Vericut if that software would prove the program out in (Control Comp)? I would like to hear from end users. Thank you

Jerry,

I could be wrong and of course as soon as I open my trap it'll be proven smile.gif

But you "might" have trouble finding someone to verify that, in that, so many people don't use control, especially on a multi-axis lathe.

Thanks John,

You are Probably right. However if I don't beat this thing to death my boss will think I am being negitive against change! I wish that I could convince him but he has had this Idea for over 10yrs now and he has two people on the floor willing to fight to get it done.

quote:

my boss will think I am being negitive against change!

Sorry but I "almost" spit my coffee out on that one.

Trying to push aside "old" technology is negative against change?

oh that's rich I don't care who you are THAT'S funny

I'm not laughing at you Jerry, believe me.

Talk to Tony on Monday, you might find yourself an ally

wink.gif

Tim

I am not a vericut user thats why i am asking here. If I can't verify the code we are right back ot square one proving out are code at the machine line by line.

I am finding out that all of you seem to be setting your controls the same.

Thank you for looking.

I am in hopes that the next meeting that I have with the owner and supervisor will be a eye opener for them in that all shops that use a cam packaged with or with out Vericut let the Cam do its Job.

quote:

Working at home are you?

Yup

Contract stuff of my own

Training with Tony went very well, very intelligent and experienced guy.

He has a much better understanding of the "hows and why's"

Yes, Vericut will verify any style of comp. Wear, reverse wear, control, etc. The most difficult part of verifying control comp will be knowing how much movement distance you machines controller needs to perform the comp on and off moves. Most machine controllers need a comp on/off move at least as big as the radial offset value. Most controls make the comp adjustment over the length of the G41/42 line. I have worked with one control in the past that instantly moved 90 perpendicular to the cut when the comp was activated. These differences are where you will need to properly define Vericut. As far as the rest of the comp-ed toolpath Vericut will look at the tool definition and offset and show what your program will do.