Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath Question

I have a part that I rough machined and sent out for processing and now have to finish machine.

There is a bore on the part that is .674 diameter and I have about .006 per side left on the bore dimension. I want to to machine the pocket by taking my tool to depth, and then spiraling inside to out with a .0005 step over.

I try a pocket, true spiral toolpath, but it starts at the center, and 90% of the toolpath is cutting air.

Is there a way to set this up? To tell it to start .01 off the wall, and spiral out from there? Something maybe like a remachining toolpath, that will start the spiral where the stock is remaining and eliminate cutting that is unneccessary?

I was just playing with this. If you use surface rough pocket and create a surface with the pocket you want trimmed out of the middle, then create a surface in the center that you do not want to tool to cut, then spiral inside to out it will work with true spiral.

You will have to play with the inside surface size to dictate the starting point on the tool.

HTH