Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The reason Combine Views is needed is?

NeilJ

I don't remember having to use this function in other cam programs after importing geometry. The Combine Views command works well and once used I can select what I want but I’d like to know the reason why Combine Views has to be used so that imported geometry can be selected.

because it was drawn in a different view.

geometry has "normals" for lack of a better term and when geometry is created in a different view you have to force it into the new view.

quote:

Is that true in all programs or just some?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

It is a tool to be used, nothing is going to change that.

Mastercam reads in, I believe, many more file types and formats than any other CAM software out there. There needs to be some kind of mechanism for this. It's not new it has been in the software, I "think" for as long as I can remember.

"maybe "Combine View" could be part of the import process."

It's not a big deal once you know about the command and know when to use it but it would be nice if you didn't have to use Combine View and it was part of the import process. I don't remember having to use a command like this in other cam programs. I maybe wrong and I may have missed a reason that a command like Combine Views is needed, just can't think of why it might be needed at the moment.

Apparently at some point in the past CNC made the descision that an arc created on the top plane is not the same as an arc created on the bottom plane even though they may have the same center, end points and radius. The two planes are seperate and both are real. In (most?) other CAD/CAM software the bottom plane is actually just the underside of the top plane, arcs created from the bottom plane are mathemathically in the top plane. CNC would have to make substantial changes in MasterCam to change one of the basic logics of the system, hence the need to occasionaly 'flip' some arcs from one plane to another.

Before I discovered 'combine views' I would go to a side view and rotate to offending arc 180 degrees so I could trim them.

"Why doesn't mask on arc find all of the arcs?" was one of my first questions here at the forum 6 years ago. Combine Views was the answer. I'm curious where else combine views comes into play? I don't think I've run into any other situations where it was needed.

Thad

I used to have a 'sticky' on my monitor and my co-workers -

'Comb Views'

'Delete Duplicates'

Whenever arcs gave problems - chaining, multiple selection, trimming try 'Comb Views'!!!

I can't imagine the time wasted until I (and many others) learned 'Comb Views'.

banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Interesting, I've never had a problem trimming 2 arcs. Nothing outside of the "problems" (I wouldn't even call it a problem) with the natural breakpoint of a circle at 3 o'clock.

Bernie, I think it was you that gave we the answer way back when. wink.gif

Thad

"Why doesn't mask on arc find all of the arcs?" was one of my first questions here at the forum 6 years ago. Combine Views was the answer.

I found this out about 2 months ago. I had about 1000 holes to pick and found out later it missed 8 of them. I sent the file to my reseller and he told me about combine views.