Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rough from stock (reduce cutting air)

ERIC14779

In X2 MR2 is there roughing toolpaths that adjust to what I have for a stock file.... So I do not have to cut a lot of "air"

My stock is cut about 1/2 inch bigger than the hockey stick shaped part I have to cut in all 4 or 5 planes with my 5 axis Quintax..

up to now I have just used rough pocket and set up a containment boundary and let it cut as if I had a rectangular block but I end up cutting a lot of air.

thanks

now guys....

this is going to be a multi-plane cut part I am laminating 2" thick MDF cut to the "slice" perimeter at each slice's elevation with 1/2" allowance for stock.

I will post a screen shot of the SolidWorks file of the stock in the morning..

it is aprox. 14" tall 12" wide and 4 foot long overall

You can see the stock in translucent red and the wireframe of the solid part

the stock is a STL file from SolidWorks

again I will be using my 5 axis Quintax router so I will be cutting this part from all around ... This is why I want to not use the rough pocket toolpath as that will yield a lot of air cutting

What I have done for some Carbon Fiber molds like this is use rough pocket and cut depths (first op z min 0, max -2.00. Op2 Z min -1.95 max -4.00) and so on for each level of MDF and use TC Boundaries for each level.

Or

On a 3axis router I have machined the 2" level complete then glue on the next level and machine it complete finish and blend with the previous level then glue on the next until you have a complete finished part. This method allows you to get a good finish and use shorter cutters/holders at faster feed rates. It also gives you access to features that the size of the finished part may require another setup to accomplish.

Good luck.

I have used 5 axis flowline where possible and multiple finish toolpaths with successive less stock to leave on each for the places Flowline would not work....

Troy

my stock is already glued up and I have 48" of Z so I can cut it in one piece with the right programs.

I am making good progress thanks all for the ideas they jogged my mind to find solutions....

• 5 months later...