Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d mill contour tool path questions

NeilJ

How can I easily split one existing 2d mill contour tool path into two so that they are now two separate tool paths? Can I easily add a new lead in and lead out to the part of the tool path I split? How does the new split part of the tool path show up in the operation manager? Can I have a different diameter offset comp for the new second part of the tool path that was split off from the first part of the tool path?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

How can I easily split one existing 2d mill contour tool path into two so that they are now two separate tool paths?

Right click AND HOLD on the OP you wish to copy, drag your cursor down, and select "Copy After"

quote:

Can I easily add a new lead in and lead out to the part of the tool path I split?

It is separate from the first path, open the parameters and change the Lead In/Lead out as you desire.

quote:

How does the new split part of the tool path show up in the operation manager?

It shows up as the next OP

quote:

Can I have a different diameter offset comp for the new second part of the tool path that was split off from the first part of the tool path?

With the parameters open simply change the comp number, affects THAT path only

Sometimes parts that I have programmed get changed and have a very tight tolerance applied to just a section of an existing contour tool path. What I really would like the ability to do is not have to delete the first chain and then re-chain. Instead, I would like the ability to be able to split the first chain and create a new contour operation where I chose to split the chain. I think this would be preferable to deleting and redoing the chain when I need to make a change to a tool path.

Break the chain in sections prior to either operation, then only select what you need. All these task that your asking about are relatively simple and can be answered by merely looking at all the parameters in the dialog boxes and messing with them. Your taking the fun out of learning this software and missing a good learning experience.

NeilJ,

I'm still a little confused on exactly what you are trying to accomplish. When you say your parts get changed do you mean parts you've made then have to rework because the customer made changes. Also what version of Mastercam are you using? The more we know the more we can help you come up with good solution for what you are trying to do. Would it be possible to put a file on the FTP site and then explain what changes you need. That way we can see what your dealing with and give you some suggestions. Copying a toolpath and rechaining geometry or adding geometry to an operation is quite common in mastercam. All you have to do is click the plus sign in front of the operation you want to rechain, then click geometry, The chaining dialog box will come up. Right click in there and you have a lot of options such as add chain, rechain all etc.

Hope this helps

We use x2mr2 sp1. Yes, our engineers often make changes like I described. We are not allowed to post any of our files, ever. While I have used partial chain, single chain, window chain, etc. I have never broken an existing chain up into sections after I created it and made two chains out of what was one chain. I will have to give this a try on Monday.

quote:

I have never broken an existing chain up into sections after I created it and made two chains out of what was one chain.

It doesn't work that way. I think MCM misunderstood what you wanted to do.

Once you chain something, that's your chain. You can change the start point by right clicking the chain in the chain manager, but (IIRC) that's it. Your only other option is to do what the others have said. Delete the chain (or use the reselect option) and select another chain, which is ultimately the same thing.

Thad

quote:

We are not allowed to post any of our files, ever.

Why??? headscratch.gif

How do they output gcode then???

That is one of the best ways to learn advanced features in MC..

Try something.. post it and see what happens

tweak it and post again...

With subtle tweaks using Reference points,

Clearance and Retract planes you can write some really sweet code.. The only way to do it is try something, post and see what happens

if you're not posting gcode, its just cartoons.

"Once you chain something, that's your chain. You can change the start point by right clicking the chain in the chain manager, but (IIRC) that's it. Your only other option is to do what the others have said. Delete the chain (or use the reselect option) and select another chain, which is ultimately the same thing."

Thanks for taking the time to point this out. I was pretty sure that existing chains couldn't really be edited and was surprised at the suggestion. Do you think chains should be editable so they don't have to be deleted at times or are you fine with deleting and redoing an existing chain?

quote:

Do you think chains should be editable so they don't have to be deleted at times or are you fine with deleting and redoing an existing chain?

I'm fine with it. I do it a hundred times a day. Right click-Rechain all. Done!

Thad

quote:

Do you think chains should be editable so they don't have to be deleted at times or are you fine with deleting and redoing an existing chain?

Grapical Toolpath editing is NOT needed.

If you know what you need to cut and take the effort to do it right there is a need to EVER have to do something like you suggest.

"Did you miss the part about the file changing?"

Change happens all the time.

"Grapical Toolpath editing is NOT needed."

Not sure what a "Grapical Toolpath" is but I do know that deleting and redoing a chain is a waste of time. Having the ability to change something and not having to delete and start over is good.

Neil

Are you in need of part of your chain to remove more or less material, at two different entry and exit points on your chain?

If that's the case, its is a tall order without having to edit your geometry.

You can do it with a graphical toolpath editor as JP stated, but its not less work. You still have to edit the tool path geometry and then re-post/generate.

I always edit the geometry to ensure I have drawn the out come of the toopath, if another progammer is not on the same page when working with your file it may cause confusion.

Rick

"Are you in need of part of your chain to remove more or less material, at two different entry and exit points on your chain?"

Pretty close. I would like to take an existing chain and make it into two(or more) chains without having to delete the chain and start over. If I could split an existing chain into two chains then I would like to create different entry and exit points.

"If that's the case, its is a tall order without having to edit your geometry."

This is what I do at present.

Maybe if you spent a "little" more time learning HOW to use the software instead of worrying about what "you" think it should or shouldn't do, you would not fight the software as much.

Good 'grammers don't fight what the software does, they use it's strengths to get what they need.

JM2C